Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2018, 04:37 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
And that's the trouble.. Each of our vans is different, so building a kit that fits all vans is impossible.. So you build one kit, but then folks are stuck moving propane tanks or batteries or whatever, which ain't a simple task!
Exactly Robb. I think once people see the complexity of the brackets, motors, attach points, etc., where and how much space they occupy it will be easier to understand the concerns. I am bummed I did not take any pictures. Of course it was 110 in the shade and I was not concerned about pictures .

Old 01-31-2018, 12:08 PM   #32

My local Ford dealer tells me model year 2000' though 2014' E-Series vans all share the same frame/chassis. (He also confirmed they are definitely different than the F-Series truck chassis). Looking forward to seeing any photos of actual installations folks can track down and post. I will be shooting for full length steps on both sides and may start with the F-350 kit to begin. (knowing full well I will face challenges with my current propane, battery, etc. mountings that are under there now....). And of course even if I am successful with fabricated brackets, others will have the same fitment problems based on their accessory mounted stuff too... Looking forward to more pics!
Dummyfatpigpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:19 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dummyfatpigpoo View Post
My local Ford dealer tells me model year 2000' though 2014' E-Series vans all share the same frame/chassis. (He also confirmed they are definitely different than the F-Series truck chassis). Looking forward to seeing any photos of actual installations folks can track down and post. I will be shooting for full length steps on both sides and may start with the F-350 kit to begin. (knowing full well I will face challenges with my current propane, battery, etc. mountings that are under there now....). And of course even if I am successful with fabricated brackets, others will have the same fitment problems based on their accessory mounted stuff too... Looking forward to more pics!

Sorry guys, I am out of town for a few days but when I get back I will send out some more pictures.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:11 PM   #34

Don't know anything about these but it is at least a reference on a possible product.... at $2300 I will keep working on my own solution however!

https://www.4wheelparts.com/Side-Ste...SABEgLRJfD_BwE
Old 01-31-2018, 03:23 PM   #35

Home page

False alarm.... I just talked to them on the phone as they are relatively close to me. They no longer make the steps that fit the Ford EB series van... The design approach was an enclosed/hollow nerf/rock slider and the step would deploy and retract in and out from that space, effectively making it a "2-step" from the van door threshold. In any event, they no longer make them, have them, etc. (I even begged to drive to their facility and dig for any old prototype stuff with no luck.)
Old 01-31-2018, 04:13 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dummyfatpigpoo View Post
Home page

False alarm.... I just talked to them on the phone as they are relatively close to me. They no longer make the steps that fit the Ford EB series van... The design approach was an enclosed/hollow nerf/rock slider and the step would deploy and retract in and out from that space, effectively making it a "2-step" from the van door threshold. In any event, they no longer make them, have them, etc. (I even begged to drive to their facility and dig for any old prototype stuff with no luck.)
See if they'd be willing to do a group buy.. i.e. 5 or 10 sets all at once that you coordinated through the forum.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:59 AM   #37

I have a pair of the Rockslide Engineering steps in my basement. I bought them from the forum member that helped originally spearhead the effort with RSE to build these step sliders for our vans. I have not installed them on my van yet, and would be willing to offer them up, temporarily, to RSE if they need them to use as a template to build more as a group buy from the forum. Back when they originally made these I think they made about 12 pairs, maybe we could get them to do that again!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 02-04-2018, 03:13 PM   #38

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben10281 View Post
I have a pair of the Rockslide Engineering steps in my basement. I bought them from the forum member that helped originally spearhead the effort with RSE to build these step sliders for our vans. I have not installed them on my van yet, and would be willing to offer them up, temporarily, to RSE if they need them to use as a template to build more as a group buy from the forum. Back when they originally made these I think they made about 12 pairs, maybe we could get them to do that again!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Nice gesture Ben10281. I sent Rockslide an e-mail earlier today, and will follow up with a call Monday. If the conversation begins to degrade, I may mention that one may be available (on loan of coarse), and not currently installed, if they needed a "template". I certainly would not commit you - would use it as leverage to see if it has a possibility of helping out.

Out of curiosity, have you not installed your set yet because of additional modifications needed based on issues mentioned earlier (different equipment mounted underneath)?
Old 02-04-2018, 03:23 PM   #39

I am about an hour and a half drive from Rock Slide and had planned to head there this coming week to try an in-person request... nice to know we can get an actual set for template purposes. In my phone conversation with them last week they indicated that they have the CAD drawings still and the original engineer on the project is still employed there as well.
Please share any progress that may be gained through email or direct phone conversations. I’m hopeful that a group buy prompting a small production run may be possible. Thanks again to all!
Old 02-04-2018, 03:30 PM   #40

I would definitely be in for a set, and might be willing to go pick them up if anyone else in CA wanted some.. I could ferry them back here at some point, then distribute to SoCal on one of Ray's regular trips to LA.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote