Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Sportsmobile Forum > Community Forums > Member Classifieds
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2021, 11:39 AM   #1

NO LONGER FOR SALE: Lightweight Dual Sport Motorcycle to hang off your Sportsmobile

Slightly off-topic, but I'm on a roll selling things on the forum, plus I looked far and wide to find this bike last year for its rare 238lb weight specifically to ride on my van's hitch receiver.

FOR SALE: 2000 Yamaha XT225
Miles: 742 (actual!)
Asking: $5,000
Condition: Very close to new. Stock except the flush mount grey rack I put on the back, and an externally accessible charging lead.

These haven't been made since 2007, and the replacement (XT250) weighs 291lbs vs the XT225 weighing 238lbs... thus the price. It's also been climate-controlled kept for 20 years, and looks like new (besides a scratch or two-- I'm talking about the condition of the paint / powder coating / metal, etc.).

The perfect bike for cruising around when you don't want to lower your pop-top or break camp. The comparable bikes (TW200 and XT250 out weigh it by 40-50lbs).
Attached Thumbnails
20210314_185209.jpg   20201230_122210.jpg  

scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 10:08 AM   #2

+1 on these wonderful machines. I own, and have owned, many motorcycles and this is a great bike. My wife currently has one of these and its a great trail bike. It should be noted that they stopped making them in 2007 BUT....they made them from 1984-2007 with very few changes so parts are easy to find. In countries other than the US they are called the Serow which is a mountain goat that is a very appropriate namesake.
lmpetersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 04:58 PM   #3
Orv

Garage
Freeway-legal bikes don't come much lighter than that -- I've looked.
Old 03-22-2021, 08:45 AM   #4

Update: I've done a little more reading, and I think the 291 is "wet" for the XT250, and the 238lbs on the XT225 is "dry" which narrows the difference probably to ~30lbs, but still an awesome bike (I think it may have more gears). Wife has given me permission to keep, so will prob kill this thread. (I'm also learning more about carbs)

Thanks for corroborating @orv and Impeterson -- it's hard to know sometimes if I'm just hanging on to things irrationally.
Old 03-22-2021, 09:31 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba View Post
Update: I've done a little more reading, and I think the 291 is "wet" for the XT250, and the 238lbs on the XT225 is "dry" which narrows the difference probably to ~30lbs, but still an awesome bike (I think it may have more gears). Wife has given me permission to keep, so will prob kill this thread. (I'm also learning more about carbs)

Thanks for corroborating @orv and Impeterson -- it's hard to know sometimes if I'm just hanging on to things irrationally.
Just rode yesterday out in Hood River on my 250. Small light bikes are so much fun. My 450 KTM buddies said my bike was making goat noises. Keeping for little exploring jaunts is a good idea IMHO. Van+bike = GOOD!
Old 03-23-2021, 10:45 AM   #6
Orv

Garage
Even a GROM is 230 lbs wet, and that's only a 125cc. (Wet weights can be a bit misleading, though. Often they include only a bare minimum of fuel.)

I currently have two bikes, a CSC TT250 and an Elite 80. I've hung on to the Elite mostly because it's such a hoot around town. The small wheels, short wheelbase, and light weight make it really maneuverable. I use it for grocery runs and picking up takeout a lot.

BTW, if you ever want to find out what a bike really weighs, you can easily weigh bikes this size with a bathroom scale. Put the front wheel on the scale, then the back wheel, and add the results. (Kickstand up, of course.)
Old 03-23-2021, 11:39 AM   #7

Garage
We use pitster pit bikes. Size of a klx 110, but the motors are 160’s. They weight 150lbs each. Street legal so we can go get into all the campgrounds legally. Easy to lift over logs and other stuff you encounter on the single tracks. Not as powerful as a Honda or kawaski 160, but mine was geared to go 80mph when I got it. I’ve been 55mph on it and that was fast enough for me, lol.

We aren’t experienced riders. I originally bought a wr250 to see if we wanted to get into the motorbike club, but it was just too big. Not power wise, just big, heavy, tall, etc. just too big of a bike for us on single track. So I sold the yamaha and was able to buy both pitsters with the money. I was told to be prepared for the pitster to break down a lot cause it was a “china bike”. Bought mine in 2015. Commuted to work with it for 3 years and take it into the hills every time we camp. First issue I’ve had just reared it’s head 6 years later. It needs a new valve seal. Over all though, we love the little scoots. They are perfect for our needs.

"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 11:55 AM   #8

Cool bikes! I must have missed these in my research-- I got the same warning to stay away from "China bikes," but street legal, 150lbs, and a kickstarter... count me in for the next bike. Would be easier to convince the wife to get on something like this, too.
Old 03-23-2021, 01:20 PM   #9
Orv

Garage
My TT250 is also a "China bike." It's basically the same bike as the Hawk 250 you sometimes see on ebay and the like, but with warranty and parts support from CSC (an importer here in CA.) CSC does all the usual dealer registration paperwork and ensures it's CARB legal. They also put together a better-than-average service manual for it. They shipped it to my door fully assembled and ready to ride, with a temporary plate already on it.

I've been very happy with it, especially now that it's had its post-break-in tuneup -- the valves were tight and readjusting them really woke up the motor. I've only found two build quality issues: The high/low beam switch was finicky, and one rear wheel dust seal was cut, probably during installation at the factory. I had no problem getting replacement parts under warranty. I think the only place I wish they'd spent a little more money is the carburetor. I find carbs finicky to start from cold and would have preferred fuel injection. The kick starter seemed silly until I had a dead battery last week and it saved me a AAA call.

I re-geared it with a smaller rear sprocket and it will travel two-up at highway speeds just fine, at least for as long as I want to go 60+ mph on a bike with no windscreen. If I'd planned on longer highway runs I'd probably have gone for one of their full-dress adventure bikes, like the RX3.
Old 03-23-2021, 01:28 PM   #10

Wow, just googled the RX3. It's amazing what you can get for your money these days with those kind of bikes. I came close to ordering a Hawk on amazon (!! amazon), but it looks like CSC is a good compromise between doing that and self-assembling vs. getting a traditional brand. Just need more time and places to take these things. Wish I lived out West.

Tags
sold