Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2023, 05:08 PM   #1

Price check for 2002 EB50 7.3 poptop

Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster.

Apologies if this kind of post is not allowed, but a Sportsmobile popped up for sale at a van shop near me and I am considering buying it. Its a 2002 EB50 7.3 manual pop-top with about 70k miles. No extra goodies, no solar or anything, and the van is in the shop getting some body work done (minor dent on rear door and some rust on the front bumper that they are getting powder coated). I went and saw the van and its in otherwise really good condition. Garaged its whole life, etc and the guy is the second owner.

Conversion is Quigley 4x4 with the RB50 floor plan but van is extended body. Front and rear bumper are Aluminess. Fiamma F45s awning

The guy is asking for 44k as is before the body work, which to me seems like a pretty good deal. Thought I'd weigh in here. I realize this post may be useless without pictures, but figured I'd shoot my shot anyways.

https://ibb.co/k3GfMgL

https://ibb.co/mbNdySQ

https://ibb.co/5hZBG7M

EDIT: Added details to assist in pricing. Was able to screen shot a couple terrible photos from a video walkthrough. Sorry for low quality

gac1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 06:43 PM   #2

Not enough details here to help with pricing. Is it 4wd(whose conversion) aluminess or off-road bumpers? Floor plan?

Rob
Nrobert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 08:17 PM   #3

Garage
You're right - just 3 pictures offer little insight, and are very poor on quality.

Still leaves a lot to decipher, but here is some of what I see, and some questions that still need to answered (others may be able to identify more, or correct my diagnosis) in order to offer a better price valuation:

*Appears to have Aluminess bumpers ??(which begs the question how does one have rust???).
*Is there a Winch in the front bumper?
*Does the Rear bumper have 2 swing arms (one holding a tire and the other with a storage box?
*The fender/hood seams look to have large gaps (raises some questions if that's in fact the case, or it's because of poor pic's)?
*Interior has a 50 build, and what looks like two air vents just below the rear seat/bed...could have an Espar heater or is that part of a rear AC system?
*Assuming (since i can see a Microwave) it also has water & fridge???
*Looks like you have something on the outside, just behind the drovers door - is that an access panel for a Propane tank? or for RV hook=up like electric & water???
*Does it have a hot water heater?
*Does the undercarriage shows just surface rust (which I would expect since you stated it's been garaged)?
*exterior in good condition - integrity of current paint good? very good? excellent?
*Interior in good shape and all the accessories function properly ?-
*you'll need to let us know all appliances it actually has (Heater, rear AC, water tank, grey tank, swivel passenger seat, Cook-top & propane tank, inverter/charger, etc)
*Raise the pop top and inspect the bottom edge around where the canvas meets the roof - many of these vans have rust developing in that area (wouldn't think this would would apply because it's been garaged & low mileage - but confirm!)
*Do the same all the way around the roof drip rail & the top corners around the front windshield.
*Does the van have an air compressor mounted underneath?
* Need to check the date code on the tires - they could be very old & would need to be replaced (safety!)
*do they have the two Sportsmobile Binders available for you?
*Any maint records?
*Can you see anything under that van that would suggest a fluid leak?

If all this is in real good condition, then I think the asking price is in-line with current market valuations (If it were mine, I'd probably list for $10k more just because it's a low mileage 7.3).
Old 12-03-2023, 08:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
You're right - just 3 pictures offer little insight, and are very poor on quality.

Still leaves a lot to decipher, but here is some of what I see, and some questions that still need to answered (others may be able to identify more, or correct my diagnosis) in order to offer a better price valuation:

*Appears to have Aluminess bumpers ??(which begs the question how does one have rust???).
*Is there a Winch in the front bumper?
*Does the Rear bumper have 2 swing arms (one holding a tire and the other with a storage box?
*The fender/hood seams look to have large gaps (raises some questions if that's in fact the case, or it's because of poor pic's)?
*Interior has a 50 build, and what looks like two air vents just below the rear seat/bed...could have an Espar heater or is that part of a rear AC system?
*Assuming (since i can see a Microwave) it also has water & fridge???
*Looks like you have something on the outside, just behind the drovers door - is that an access panel for a Propane tank? or for RV hook=up like electric & water???
*Does it have a hot water heater?
*Does the undercarriage shows just surface rust (which I would expect since you stated it's been garaged)?
*exterior in good condition - integrity of current paint good? very good? excellent?
*Interior in good shape and all the accessories function properly ?-
*you'll need to let us know all appliances it actually has (Heater, rear AC, water tank, grey tank, swivel passenger seat, Cook-top & propane tank, inverter/charger, etc)
*Raise the pop top and inspect the bottom edge around where the canvas meets the roof - many of these vans have rust developing in that area (wouldn't think this would would apply because it's been garaged & low mileage - but confirm!)
*Do the same all the way around the roof drip rail & the top corners around the front windshield.
*Does the van have an air compressor mounted underneath?
* Need to check the date code on the tires - they could be very old & would need to be replaced (safety!)
*do they have the two Sportsmobile Binders available for you?
*Any maint records?
*Can you see anything under that van that would suggest a fluid leak?

If all this is in real good condition, then I think the asking price is in-line with current market valuations (If it were mine, I'd probably list for $10k more just because it's a low mileage 7.3).
Appreciate the response.
The bumpers do indeed appear to be Aluminess, which also confused me about rust. The front bumper has a warn 12000lb winch. Rear bumper has swingouts with a tire carrier and a spot for a box (empty). Air compressor is on front bumper as well.

Gaps from hood are indeed terrible picture quality. In person everything is in alignment.

It does have a heater system, as well as fridge and microwave. Opening on side pic is for propane (door needs to be replaced)

Has swivel seats, propane, fridge, water and grey tank, inverter. No stove and no solar panels.

I'll take a look around the edges of the pop-top and inspect for rust. Current owner is second owner (bought in 2006 from original owner) and has all records

Been wanting to get into one of these for awhile, and I have lurked these forums enough to realize its hard to find any of them for less than 50k or so, so just don't want to buy a lemon.
gac1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 09:24 PM   #5

Garage
Drive it!
Test the 4x4 systems to make sure everything works, and take it out on the highway... run it close to 80mph on the freeway to see if you get any vibration/death wobble (just make sure you also intermittently apply the brakes since sometimes that's what sets it off). Some Quigleys have this issue, but there are remedies (from what I understand, that fix runs in the neighborhood of $2500+). Do check for any fluid leaks.
We rarely ever use the stove on the inside, so not having one is no issue (other portable units out there are just as effective considerations anyway). Adding solar is always an option - but you can just as easily use suitcase units.

Suggest you walk the whole thing again, test EVERYTHING to make sure it functions.
No warranties with these older units, but you'd be faced with the same on any you'd probably be considering.
If everything 'works' and you're excited about the prospect then sounds like you probably have a decision to make. It certainly seems to be reasonable priced, and if you believe it's in really good condition then It may be you've found yourself a mistress.
Old 12-03-2023, 09:24 PM   #6

Does this van have a Propex heater mounted near the right rear wheel well? It looks a whole lot like a white 7.3 EB50 I did some work on years ago.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 09:24 PM   #7

The front bumper isn't Aluminess, it's a similar design but made of steel. This explains the rust. I can't recall the brand name, but I've seen them around on a few vans. The headlamp protection hoops/brushguards are the giveaway. On an early gen Aluminess front bumper, the headlamp guards slope down and do not follow the design/shape of the front headlamps. On the bumper in question, these hoops have more of an oval/rectangular shape and follow the headlamp's boxy outline. The pics are a bit grainy, but you can see the distinction.
yonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 09:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonah View Post
The front bumper isn't Aluminess, it's a similar design but made of steel. This explains the rust. I can't recall the brand name, but I've seen them around on a few vans. The headlamp protection hoops/brushguards are the giveaway. On an early gen Aluminess front bumper, the headlamp guards slope down and do not follow the design/shape of the front headlamps. On the bumper in question, these hoops have more of an oval/rectangular shape and follow the headlamp's rectangular shape. The pics are a bit grainy, but you can see the distinction.
Yep, it's a Warn bumper IIRC.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 06:32 AM   #9

I mean, it's a low mileage 4x4 7.3 with bumpers, propane, documents, 2-owners.

Assuming no unknown issues, it think we know enough to say $44k is fair price, maybe even a really good price.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 06:38 AM   #10

Per Yonah post -- Maybe "Road Armor" ? That's what's on my 2002 SMB.
doublevan2 is online now   Reply With Quote