Iíve been an SMB fan for years and have decided itís finally time to get one. Over the decades, Iíve owned 3 Westies, and a Provan Tiger. Iíve also used a Four Wheel slide-in for a couple of years. Itís time to return to my quest for a used SMB, but make it happen this time. The wonderful folks on this forum, which I follow regularly, are a strong factor in my decision. Naturally, I also look at the SMB site, Craigís List National, and to a lesser degree, RV Trader. Any tips from you fine folks would be greatly appreciated. Itís time to stop fooling around, and get the real thing. Fortunately, I live within 2-3 hours of the mother ship, so I can have modifications made if the price is right.
Here are some of the things that are important to me:
* A ď50Ē layout is essential to my family, who want to ride facing forward.
* I probably want a 2WD for economic reasons. Even on a used unit, it appears 4WD would add big bucks.
* I tend to favor gas because of purported noise and pollution. I do like dieselís long life, better mileage, and ability to idle for charging purposes, and would be willing to check that out.
* I require a penthouse with a bed, but would be willing to have the bed installed if the price is right.
* Propane is essential. I would like a furnace and hot water.
* Ultimately, I will need an outdoor shower. I already have a porta potty, which I can use, if it fits.
* A refrigerator is essential.
* I will need a stove top, although I could have one installed if the price is right.
* It would be nice to find an SMB with between 50,000 and 75,000 miles, but that might be unrealistic. I could go up to 100 k if the engine were in good shape.
* I would consider either a Ford or Chevy, and would prefer an RB.
* I assume a 2000 or newer rig would be best.
* Some luxury extras would be great-electric windows are important, and others, such as door locks would help.
I am timid about putting down a price, but around 35 k would be great. I might have to consider more though.
As always, thanks for your kind help. I look forward to having a dialogue with you folks!