Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2022, 10:53 AM   #1

WTB: Wheels and Tires, East Coast (MD)

Looking for something stock-ish with highway tires. 8x6.5 bolt pattern, prefer 265-75-16 or 245's. Highway tires or very mild AT. The K02 is just too much tire for us.

Just picked up my 2006 with Quigley and SMB top! Very excited and I will do a welcome post soon.

Drove 10 hours home the other day and, lets just say, I'm not a fan of the K02 road noise. I guess it has been a while since I've run AT tires.

Anyhow, it seems silly to suffer the fuel economy hit and noise for the 2% of the time that the K02 would shine.

Willing to drive a few hours from Annapolis, MD for pickup. May bite the bullet and buy new, but seeing if someone has a good set taking up space.

Thanks!

ManBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 12:18 PM   #2

I'm in exactly the same boat. 95% on paved roads. Currently running A/T tires and the truck tire whine is maddening. Looking for some really quiet "mostly highway" tires.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 12:27 PM   #3

Garage
The stocks on my GMC were Coopers. VA Tire and Auto. Mine was strictly a road van. They were good tires.
Old 12-08-2022, 12:36 PM   #4

Don’t most Quigleys use the F-series bolt pattern? 8x170mm?

Edit: see this thread: https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...eels-5717.html
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 06:22 AM   #5

KO2's are well known for getting loud as they get old. They are nice and quiet when new up to 30k or so in my experience. Not to say you aren't a candidate for milder tires all around but yours may just be old.

I would verify your bolt pattern as Brian suggested before going any further with your hunt. Should be 8x170mm and there are lots more of those around from F series trucks.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 06:56 AM   #6
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Quigley typically uses front rotors drilled out to 8X6.5 to match the rear on the Econolines
If you drive in snowy conditions at all, you’ll want to look for a 3 peak tire. Make sure it’s an E rated for the heavy load. Check out the BFG Trail Terrain or the Cooper AT3 LT
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 08:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
Don’t most Quigleys use the F-series bolt pattern? 8x170mm?

Edit: see this thread: https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...eels-5717.html
No, in 2006 they keep the van 8 on 6.5 and use a modified front F series hub & disk to match the stock 8 on 6.5. It's a common upgrade on quigleys to convert to 8 on 170 though, as that way you can use stock F series hubs & disks which are 1/4 price of Quigley's converted parts. So if buying new wheels, it's always worth considering making that change.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 08:19 AM   #8

Correct, Quigley confirmed that I have 8x6.5 wheels with modified front rotors.
The K02s are new. Including my drive home they have less than 1k miles on them. Fronts are 55psi cold, rears are 75psi.

I measured 86dB from the driver's seat at 40mph. This was dominated by 47Hz noise (a low frequency rumble from the tires).

My wheels are nothing special...they could use sandblasting and powdercoat. I'm not beholden to the 8x6.5 bolt pattern if the change-over to 8x170 is simply front hubs/bearings and rotors, then rear adapters. Can I retain the E-series calipers/carriers? 8x170 would certainly open up more wheel options as I see new F-series takeoffs for sale all the time.

Thanks for the help and tips!
ManBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 08:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManBro View Post
if the change-over to 8x170 is simply front hubs/bearings and rotors, then rear adapters. Can I retain the E-series calipers/carriers? 8x170 would certainly open up more wheel options as I see new F-series takeoffs for sale all the time.
It is that simple. I made the change a few months back. Also remember the hubs you have are only available from quigley and $$$$$. Seems quite a few people have been stuck on a road trips with broken hub, and have had to wait days and pay $$$ for overnight shipping on quigley hubs. The cost of one quigley hub nearly pays for the whole conversion.
With the conversion you use off the shelf F series hubs & disks that are available at any parts store.

Think it cost me about 1.2k for conversion with best/high quality parts. Moog hubs, Raybestos rotors, wheeladapter.com adapters.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 06:49 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManBro View Post
Willing to drive a few hours from Annapolis, MD for pickup. May bite the bullet and buy new, but seeing if someone has a good set taking up space.
Thanks!
Welcome ManBro - we’re in Annapolis as well, and you’ll soon find many of the benifits of Sportsmobile ownership have association(s) with the ‘other’ Coast. East Coast group is a little spread out, and it’s a challenge at times finding shops that will work on these rigs. Don’t know how extensive the build is on your new Van, but feel free to reach out if you need anything.

Tags
highway, tires, wheels