Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2013, 12:14 PM   #1

Anyone out there who can help me?

Hello,
I purchased a SMB and now i would like to buy some smaller parts for it. I´m living in germany but will be in the south of Florida from 17 to 26 February
As the sShipping costs to germany are a nightmare I got an other idea
Is anyone out there who is living in the south of Miami? I will be on the way from miami to the key´s in february. I would be over the moon if there is someone who is able to receive some parts for me.
Of course i will order it myselve and pay all the cost´s. I just need an shipping adresse and will pick it up when i am in the area.
Hope someone who is living in this area is reading this and want to help me
Thanks in advance

schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:12 PM   #2

Re: Anyone out there who can help me?

Welcome buddy

I am pretty sure there will be a Member step up
to help.

best

bw
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:17 PM   #3

I only know one SMB owner south of Miami. Pretty sure Jimmy isn't active on the forum though...
Old 01-17-2013, 05:40 PM   #4

i know a trusted guy in Tampa, but way far...
Old 01-17-2013, 06:51 PM   #5

Not sure if I'm any help. I'm in Coastal South Carolina. To far from FL but not sure if your traveling the I 95 corridor.

My Build Thread
SCBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:52 PM   #6

If I were there, I sure would do it for you. I travel a fair amount and there are times a good shipping address where you can "stockpile" stuff is like gold!

A couple of ideas in case there isn't anyone here who can volunteer:

1) I have had things shipped to a local UPS store (they will accept packages delivered via postal service, FedEx, etc. as well as UPS), but there is one caveat: Each one seems to be run somewhat individually. The one near my house charges $2 per package; others seem to charge $5 (too much, to my mind!); and some have wanted me to go through a whole song and dance about signing up and registering, etc. (ridiculous). I can say that the one in Key Largo (one of the first Keys spots you get to) seems really good, and they are used to doing "odd" things like shipping dive gear and the like. There are also a fair number of German tourists who come to Key Largo, so they probably won't be thrown by "OMG, but he's coming from GERMANY!" like some might.

2) Are you heading to a "smallish" mom and pop type of motel or lodging? Or a marina? Maybe a dive shop? If so, they might be willing to hold packages for you. I don't like to do it at large places where there can be confusion, many different workers, etc.; but I've had good luck with smaller places, and marinas especially are totally used to transient boaters.

3) "General Delivery" at a small town post office. This is a service available to anyone (at least anyone here), where you just have your things addressed to "Your Name, General Delivery, Town Name, State, ZIP code" Then the post office there holds your items. In the keys, I've had things sent to the Long Key Post Office, and it is a nice "small town type of post office, right on the main Overseas Highway (about 20 miles before you get to Marathon), and very used to winter travelers, etc. You might want to check if you are going to have things sitting around for a long time to see if that's okay.

Here are a couple of contact details, just in case they might be helpful:

UPS Store, Key Largo, FL
Address: 99611 Overseas Highway
Key Largo, FL 33037
Phone305) 453-4877
e-mail: store4181@theupsstore.com

Long Key Post Office
68340 OVERSEAS HWY
LONG KEY, FL 33001-9998
United States
Phone: (305) 664-4112

Of course best would be a fellow SMB'ers house
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:20 AM   #7

Viva
nice job!
bw
Old 01-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilson
Viva
nice job!
bw
Agreed, I have used option 2 while traveling and it worked out fine.

Also, just FYI, there are very few SMBs or SMB people in the Southeastern U.S. I mostly blame the humidity, but also the lack of space to explore. Most camping type folks in the Southeast are in big motorhomes or 5th wheels with multiple air conditioners. I think you could easily find a drop point though, with a little creativity.

Also, just for scope, I'd love to help you, but the U.S. is quite vast compared to Europe. I'm in Tn, which is firmly in the South East, but still about 18 hours drive to Miami.

Good luck!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:01 PM   #9

There is a popular RV club called the Escapees (also known as SKPs) http://www.escapees.com
They have a really good and reliable mail-forwarding service. You have your mail sent to an address they assign to you, they hold it until you tell them where you want it sent. Also many of the members are full-time rv'ers and some of them winter in Florida. There is an online discussion forum where you could reach out to one of them to lend you an address.
2009 Sprinter RB custom floorplan began conversion at SMB West in August 2010, delivered December 20, 2010. Diesel furnace/water heater (Espar D5), gaucho, porta potti, exterior shower, sink, fridge, micro, vent fan, cargo storage in rear.
durangatangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:31 PM   #10

You can also use http://reship.com/

It's based in Portland so you'll never pay sales tax. At least on this end... Pretty hard to slip anything past German customs. They work hard to make sure they get their 22.5% (VAT + auto part duties).