Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2022, 02:44 PM   #11

I love my Honda, it runs my A/C just fine, and last summer in 118deg temps it was a life saver. I'd plan a trip to Reno to pick one up, assuming they are available there and not suffering from the dreaded supply chain issues. I imagine with all the summer power shut off's and winter time trees falling on the wires, the demand is probably still pretty high. Best of luck.................

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 02:50 PM   #12

Another vote for Honda. My 2000 is about 10 years old. It has not been trouble free due to me not starting it often enough so keep that in mind Dave, but you probably already know. No generators or small engines in general are immune to the evils of ethanol gasoline.

I would shop hard in the Craigslist/classified market for a used Honda if you aren't in a big hurry. I personally believe nothing is made like it used to be and this would even include Honda generators. I'm a Honda fan but every manufacturer cuts corners nowadays. I plan on never parting with my 10 year old Honda generator. It's honestly one of the very few things I own that I won't sell for any price.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 04:03 PM   #13
Site Team

My recommendations are based around fuel, no matter what brand generator. Use a fuel additive (e.g. Sta-Bil), and drain as much fuel as possible when done, and then run it dry. Leaving fuel sitting long term is asking for problems.

I have a Honda 2000 myself.

Herb
Old 01-10-2022, 05:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
My recommendations are based around fuel, no matter what brand generator. Use a fuel additive (e.g. Sta-Bil), and drain as much fuel as possible when done, and then run it dry. Leaving fuel sitting long term is asking for problems.

Herb
I only put non enthol gasoline in anything that I don't start/drive at least once a month. makes a huge difference.
Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 07:24 PM   #15

As everyone says, Honda is the best.. and they normally available in CA, but out of stock.

That said though, Yamaha makes a comparable one that a buddy has, and it's just as quiet and I'm sure just as reliable. And a bit cheaper.

And there is also one at Costco with a Yamaha engine that is pretty cheap but people like.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 09:15 PM   #16

With what we have dealt with lately in Truckee you might be lucky to find a Honda in Reno.Power outages are a common occurrence unfortunately for us and our Honda has been a lifesaver.I bought the 2000 specifically because of the fact that the size and weight is doable for my wife to handle if I am not around.
Did a quick Craigslist search and one did come up in Grass Valley and nothing in Reno.
Definitely appears to be a little overpriced but am not sure what they are getting for them these days.
https://goldcountry.craigslist.org/t...429570417.html
Blowby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 10:14 AM   #17

The Honda 2200 is nice because it has a fuel shut off built in. I turn the fuel off and let the generator run until it dies. I think that helps with keeping the carb clean.
Old 01-11-2022, 12:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post

Herb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilnuts2 View Post
I only put non enthol gasoline in anything that I don't start/drive at least once a month. makes a huge difference.
Agreed, I've always done both non ethanol fuel and Seafoam (similar to Stabil) and still had issues with mine. In fact, I have never once put ethanol fuel in mine, I was saying that above for those unaware. Letting one sit without starting on occasion is bad no matter the fuel or additive IMO.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 12:43 PM   #19
Site Team

Garage
Thanks for all the replies. I still might have a buddy (just out of state) score me a 3000i Honda. For now I grabbed a cheap Champion. It's small light and can run off propane so it serves a duel purpose. Right now all I need it for right now is charging RC LiPo batteries up in the field. In the future I'll probably need a larger watt generator. Even though a Honda 2000 would have suited my needs for now, at 450.00 the Champion will probably get me by for a while. I just wanted another Honda.

We were really hard on our Honda's at work. Things can sit in a foot of water and fire up the next day. I hope we do get them back in Ca in the future. I feel sorry for those who really must have a premium generator and can't find the product they want because of this mandate.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 10:50 AM   #20

I've owned /used the Wen generator for 2 years. No problems. Seems to be a good value. Mine has a 12V outlet on it too which comes in handy.
jso5000 is offline   Reply With Quote