Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2012, 06:51 AM   #41

Re: It's a small world

This has been a enjoyable thread to read. Maybe we should start a weekly thread "Jobs of SMB Owners"

Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:00 AM   #42

Getting a million miles out of a big truck isn't really that special. FedEx Express doesn't really run their equipment that hard and long. My Volvo is a 2006 with 992k on the ODO. The truck I'm sitting in right now is a 2009 with 509,321 mile on it. The service interval is 10,000 miles. These engines are huge. I don't even add oil till its a gallon low.

When a driver does a brake check they are checking to make sure all the tires are aired up to pressure. Low tires run hot and blow. They are also smelling for hot brakes. Easy to sniff out a hot brake. They are real obvious.

In reality most brake and tire checks are an excuse for the driver to take a leak.

The truck I'm driving right now has a Eaton Fuller 10 speed automatic transmission. They are real funky. They are basically a 10 speed manual transmission hooked to a computer that shifts for you. The computer reads the rpms then does all the shifting work, runs the clutch, blips the throttle and shifts. They are real easy to drive but suck in the snow. They do have a manual override where the driver can shift using a paddle shifter but you can't rock the truck back and forth if you're stuck in the snow or ice. The computer needs to see the truck completely stopped with the brake on before it will shift between forward gears, neutral and reverse

More in a bit when I get checked into the hotel for my nap.

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:17 AM   #43

Greg.....I'd like to see a thread about other members day jobs. Who's next? We could call the thread something like.....Day jobs or how I feed my SMB habit.

The route I'm running today is even rarer in the Express system than sleeper cabs. I run one of only a handfull in the nation layover routes. I normally do this shift on Sunday-Monday but one of the other layover drivers son has football games Friday night. I shift trade with him and cover his Thursday-Friday run so he can go to the home games. This route leaves the Portland ramp at 0015 and runs to the Medford Oregon ramp. I get to Medford between 0630 and 0700, drop the trailer and bobtail to the hotel where I get the DOT required 10 hour rest period then drive back to Portland. I've been on this route for a little over 10 years now. It's pretty safe to say I'm on a first name basis with every bump in the road on I-5 between Portland and Medford. FedEx pays for the hotel and meals at a Sharies right across the parking lot from the hotel. I also get paid while I sleep. Due to company overtime rules I actually make more per hour when I sleep than I do when I drive a truck. There is something very sweet about that.

Eric.....eat your heart out. I bet you don't get time and a half and double time to sleep on the job!

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:54 PM   #44

It's a small world

Yeah, you got me there. I'm working on it though!!!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote