Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2021, 11:48 AM   #21
Site Team

I worked on SARs assignments in the desert around Las Vegas for 20 years. I would like to state some NEVERS in hope that this won't happen to anyone else.

1. NEVER go out into the desert without an AMPLE supply of water, even in the winter. This couple said they had a "three-day" supply of water with them. That would have been three gallons each. I doubt they were carrying three gallons of water each while on foot.

2. NEVER leave your vehicle. The vehicle is always found before someone on foot is discovered. The vehicle is easy to spot from the air. Reflection off of the metal and windows can be seen for miles. The vehicle provides shelter from the sun and wind, two things that cause dehydration. It also is a warmer place to stay at night. The ONLY time someone should try to walk out is if no one is aware they are missing or no one knows their itinerary. Even then, it is better to stay with the vehicle.

3. NEVER go out on backcountry desert roads without letting someone know your itinerary, including estimated return dates and time. Don't deviate from your shared itinerary without first letting someone know.

4. If you do head out on foot, NEVER hike cross-country. Stick to the main paths, trails, and roads. That is where we search first. That is where we expect people to be. There are too many cross-country routes a person might take. Don't assume the SARs team will know which direction you headed.

5. NEVER shed your clothes. Your clothes provide protection from the sun and slow down the rate of dehydration. People shedding their clothes is one of the signs that they are near death.

6. NEVER overestimate the capabilities of your vehicle. Street vehicles should never be taken on most backcountry desert roads. Street tires do not hold up in the heat and on rough, rocky roads.

Please realize, when I say NEVER, I mean NEVER. Don't assume you will be the exception and not have a problem.

Old 04-15-2021, 12:00 PM   #22

[QUOTE= Does anyone have any input about HAM radios for emergency use?[/QUOTE]

Ham radio is another tool that can help in an emergency, but unless you have a somewhat bulky HF rig with a large antenna, you may not be able to contact anyone. VHF and UHF have limited range unless your able to open a repeater, which is really hit or miss depending on your location. Never the less, you can't have too many options when it comes to safety, but I wouldn't count on it as a primary communication tool. Never the less, it's a superior method of communication for use on the trail with other hams compared to FRS or GMRS.
In addition to my ham radio, I carry a PLB that doesn't require a monthly or yearly subscription, and only needs a new battery every five years. It sends a distress signal to a constellation of satellites that download your position to a rescue center. They have no idea what your problem is since it's a one way transmitter, but they will launch a rescue.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 12:09 PM   #23

My wife and I carry a sat phone when we are going to be out of cell phone range. We bought an Inmarsat several years ago for around &700. As a prior poster noted, you can get minutes when needed in various amounts for a month or more. When we are going somewhere that we may need the phone, we simply order an appropriate pack of minutes. In my opinion it is cheap insurance. Although we are beyond long off the grid hikes, it is not hard out west to find even paved roads that are not served by cell service.
mechmike10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 02:21 PM   #24

This is sad. I am another that carries an Inreach as a safety measure. I do carry everything I think I will need to get myself out but things can happen that weren’t planned for. So I hope to be able to get myself out but always have that SOS button available if necessary.
rltilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 07:23 PM   #25

You can buy them and even program them from your computer. You can upgrade the antenna, but you need a license to broadcast. I am sure that in an emergency, you could get away with it, but you really should get licensed.
rt66paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 11:19 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwell13 View Post
So, so sad, bad decisions can kill you. My first thought is its interesting that they were in an AWD Subaru, you can drive on a flat tire, just go, if it ruins the tires, ruins the wheels, ruins the car, who cares? Very few people turn around and go out the way they came in, the mind plays tricks. Every person on here should read Deep Survival by Lawrence Gonzales, best book ever and must for anyone that leaves the pavement and even for those that dont.
Thx for the book recommendation.

Before I had even read this story, but had heard about the situation involving a Subaru and flat tires in Death Valley, I thought the exact same; drive the damn car on flat tire(s). Rally drivers do it all the time, the car still limps forward.

This Subaru being AWD gives even more reason to keep driving, but even if it was a FWD or RWD car, the car will still go even if the ESP/ABS/etc complain a bit for having a difference in wheel speed on 2 corners. IMHO it's better than walking. Turn ESP off if you can, see if that helps, exhaust all the possibilities. Unsure on which 2 tires were flat in this specific instance, but if you need to, use the jack/lug wrench and swap tires around so you have 2 good tires on the front (since a Subaru is more than likely FWD biased). This would also allow you to steer better as well. Drag the rear end around if you have to. A whole lot better than abandoning the car as others have stated. Typically it's better for us SAR(search and rescue) volunteers to have you STAY PUT vs be walking all over the dang place. As someone else said, metal/glass from a vehicle is SO much easier to see from afar than a single human.

And hiking cross-country, vs hiking down any form of a road where even mtn biker might be traveling down(assume they thought it'd be shorter to cut across to the Point to either be seen or get good cell coverage)?? Another reason to bring paper maps (as long as you know where you're at on the map, carry a compass and know how to use it) and NEVER rely solely on electronic devices. Batteries run out (even an inReach which I carry, could potentially have dead batteries--so make sure it turns on before you go in the backcountry, and make sure that you have fresh batteries in it, or carry fresh spares).

Speaking of batteries, if you only have your cell phone, your battery is dwindling, and/or you have limited/spotty cell coverage, do a few things;
-try finding higher ground to make an SOS call. If you can't get any signal, TEXT vs call; text will continue to try to send out as coverage comes/goes.
-otherwise, keep your phone off as much as possible to conserve battery life. Do NOT keep your phone on constantly as your battery will drain quicker as the phone tries to connect to signal/network.
-phone "pings" can be triangulated and your location determined (the head of my SAR group is the leader in ping triangulation here in the PNW, and has saved many many lives with it), IF you stay put and don't move from location to location.

Sadly, very poor decisions led to a tragic outcome.
2010 E350 RB V10 Cargo "unicorn" (SOLD)
2007 E350 4x4 "VANdiana Jones"(SOLD)
mk216v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 07:39 AM   #27

Anyone here ever watch "Dual Survival"? It was always enraging, as the hosts, upon being "stuck" somewhere, ALWAYS strike out away from where they are to look for help. "Oh no! Our car broke down. Whelp, let's strip all the gear off it and start walking." "Oh no! We are stuck at the old, abandoned mine in the middle of the desert that is probably on every SAR map as one of the first places to check? Nope! Get some water and start walking 20 miles across the desert for help."
I realize that "whelp, here we are. We do what we can to survive for a day or three and get picked up by SAR." would be boring TV, but they could at least SAY "Well, normally we would advise sticking around, but for TV's sake we are walking...."
Wowbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 07:45 AM   #28
Site Team

Besides what's been stated, if your vehicle is truly in-op, pull one of those flats, drain some gas from your tank and start the tire on fire. The black smoke should get someone's attention.

Herb
Old 04-17-2021, 09:20 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Besides what's been stated, if your vehicle is truly in-op, pull one of those flats, drain some gas from your tank and start the tire on fire. The black smoke should get someone's attention.

Herb
A good idea Herb, but fuel tank/line access on most modern vehicles would be pretty challenging. Hoses and such aren't as accessible as they are on a van or truck, as manufacturers tuck/hide everything behind panels and other components.

I'm remembering back to the infamous Kim family who got stuck in the snowy mountains in the PacNW after taking a suggested GoogleMaps shortcut. Wife/kids stayed with/in the vehicle, even tore up the seats and used the seat stuffing to fill their clothes to stay warm. Dad trekked off for help, was found dead in a snowy ravine after he got lost IIRC.
2010 E350 RB V10 Cargo "unicorn" (SOLD)
2007 E350 4x4 "VANdiana Jones"(SOLD)
mk216v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 12:33 PM   #30
Site Team

Garage
A lot of people get tricked by those vehicle GPS units. I had a sedan with for people follow me up a road close to Kings Canyon NP that soon turned into a 4x4 road. It wasn't too rough and thought maybe they're local folks who knew the route...not. Boy did they have a hard time turning around. My Garmin said drive 8.2 miles and turn left on highway 180 but a mile of it required me to lock my hubs. I never knew if they were using GPS or thought if a van can make it

All that TV drama is subjective but probably does as much harm as it does good for those inexperienced in off road travel. Mac's post is spot on.

Anyway I do carry a sat phone. I think most of us of us on this forum are equipped where it would be best to stay with the vehicle.

Here are a couple of others who got lost there:
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...lley-4933.html

Hunt for the lost German's in Death Valley

I also notice that many roads in Death Valley that were made years ago and haven't been used for years, look like somebody was recently using it. That can be a problem if you take a wrong turn on to one of those.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote