Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2023, 02:00 PM   #1

Upcoming SE Oregon/Nevada trip

We're heading out first week of October for a few weeks exploring Southern Oregon and Nevada. Haven't been to Crater Lake since childhood so will start down there, head east towards Leslie Gulch and then south into Nevada. We're fairly familiar with the Steens, Jarbige and Ruby Mts. Any suggestions for other off grid exploring/hiking areas much appreciated.

2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 03:46 PM   #2

I'd love to tag along on this bigriver -- sounds like a great trip ! However - too many "irons in the fire" here at home ! Wishing you and Patti a terrific and safe trip !
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 06:52 PM   #3

Garage
I’d be there for sure. My van won’t be done. I think you should go check out Great Basin NP area. I’ve heard great things. I think the crashed bomber is now a recognized memorial so maybe check that out. If you can swing into Jordan Valley go get some peach pie from the basque restaurant there as well as some home made basque food. It’s killer there. The locals always talk about going south out of Jordan Valley and crossing over into ID. You’ve probably done all that. If some miracle happens and Rob completes my swap I’ll join you guys.
Old 09-06-2023, 10:05 PM   #4

Bogg Hot Spring is south east of Denio. It is actually a hot river that flows from the spring to a reservoir. We camped here, 41.92171, -118.80057. It was windy.

Have camped at Bombos Pond, a BLM camping area, south of Beaty NV.

In SE Oregon there is Jordan Craters, Peter French Round Barn, Fields Station for food and fuel, Mickey Hot Springs, Willow Creek Hot Springs.

Hope you have a good time.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 10:24 AM   #5

Good stuff guys... thank you! Looks like we may push further south into SW Utah as well. We have no end date planned so we'll see where it takes us.
2003 EB30 - Sold
Old 09-11-2023, 09:58 PM   #6

I love southern Utah. There are lots of cliff dwellings that you can hike to on the west side of Comb Ridge. There is a campground neat the Sand Island Petroglyphs. The Burr Trail is a nice drive although the Lake Powell crossing could be a problem depending on the water level. There is a great restaurant, Burr Trail Grille, and the Anasazi State Park Museum in Boulder Utah. There is a beautiful drive through Cottonwood Canyon in the Praia-Hackberry Wilderness. IIRC there are several canyons that you can hike into. I have stopped for the night at Kodachrome Basin State Park to enjoy the scenery and also do laundry. Hope you have a good trip.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 08:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie View Post
Anasazi State Park Museum in Boulder Utah.
Great smaller museum. Not too much info - just the right size. The tacos sold from the taco truck in the parking lot were the best I've ever had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie View Post
Kodachrome Basin State Park
Hands-down the best state park we've ever found. PS: please don't tell anyone else about this! BTW be sure to drive out and see Grosvenor Arch - a masterpiece.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 10:13 AM   #8

Just be aware that part of the Rim drive around Crater Lake is closed this year for repairs. I was planning to do that drive a few weeks ago until I saw the closure on their web site.
Old 09-12-2023, 12:38 PM   #9

All good stuff! The Praia-Hackberry Wilderness tip is golden. We've roamed that ground quite a bit but have not been up in there. Saw that about Crater Lake as well... we'll go in the North end and see what we can see. I was hoping I'd get some tasty Nevada pro tips from you deserteagle56 but I know those hidden gems are harder and harder to keep "hidden" with so many people roaming around out there... especially if we tell everybody about em. All good
2003 EB30 - Sold
Old 09-14-2023, 12:01 PM   #10

Don't miss Newberry Volcano / Paulina Lake near La Pine

Don't miss Newberry Volcano / Paulina Lake near La Pine. The loop around Mt Batchelor is really scenic. And if you go down Hwy 31, Fort Rock is pretty cool.