Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2014, 08:31 PM   #51

Re: What do you do for work/living?

Director of IT for a company working in the retail consulting space. Background in application development and small business networking.

Dad/Husband/Outdoorsman. Doing our part to make SMBs known east of the Rockies...

scottman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:50 PM   #52

I wanted to be an auto mechanic so I went vocational in high school and then for a year of post HS training afterward but I got drafted (Vietnam era lottery #52) so I joined the Navy. They talked me into being a nuclear trained machinist mate and I served on the boomers (submarines) back in Engine Room Upper Level out of Pearl Harbor. After that I bummed around and settled in San Diego where I got married and pursued a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering degree to support the wife and now baby. Toward the end of that (1982) I discovered "programming" and with that degree and a little bit of FORTRAN experience I got a job as an Engineering Support Programmer at our biggest shipyard here in town. I transitioned from the mainframe to desktop systems around 1998 and over the years I have developed all of the application software and database structures that track the electrical cable requirements for ship new construction that my company uses; all of the cable attributes (length, type, segregation), the equipment it connects to, the individual conductor termination connections, the palletizing of circuits to support build strategy, the ordering of cut lengths, linear nesting cable cuts from bulk, metal tagging, reporting, installation instructions & status recording, hookup status recording, wireway routing including shortest distance determination, management reports etc etc. In 2012 we finished the 12 year - 14 ship TAKE contract where each ship had 22,000 circuits, about 650,000 meters per ship across 250 different cable types . We are now in a military 3 ship contract that has 12000 circuits each and just starting a commercial ship contract with about 6000 circuits each. See http://www.nassco.com to learn more about the company. I do like data and I do like to slice and dice it to make other peoples jobs easier. Now I work mostly to support my SMB / PSD habit. I don't really go very far any more in between repairs and all plus it is hard to drive off road with my fingers always crossed. And the proud father report - that "baby" now has a PhD in Physics from UC Santa Cruz and is an Assistant Professor in her field at a small private college in Virginia.
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 05:11 AM   #53

Designed, coded, and implemented software systems for an insurance company for 18 years. For the last 10 years I’ve been the Director of IT at a small company. So small that I AM the IT department and love doing everything for them. Work from home 60% of the time. My wife works from home full time so we get to see each other a lot (big plus for me).

My wife and I have been camping for all of our 26 years together so far and really like the upgrade to an RV like Sherman.

2 boys (18 & 20) live 2 blocks away. Have 2 beagles. Enjoy racquetball, wake surfing, Ski patrolling, snow boarding, rollerblading, volleyball, photography, woodworking, drumming, SCUBA diving, computer gaming & …my wife.

We both feel very blessed!
Toyo LT285/70 R17
4MacFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:14 AM   #54

Commercial, residential developer. Own a aviation company providing helicopter wildfire suppression for US Forest Service and BLM. Other segments we provide are; fixed wing and rotor wing training. We are the fight provider for the community college and have 135 students currently enrolled in our program.

Love God. Dad, beautiful supporting wife, 3 kids, 2 dogs, 1 cat, 2 horses, 23 beef cattle, 1 2006 E350 6.0 Sportsmobile. Helicopter pilot, snowboarder.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:00 AM   #55

Just auto mechanic. Working for Sportsmobile West in Fresno. Installing all accessories on production line: bumpers, awnings, solar panels, steps, boards, lights, pre-wires and etc.
Foxmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:09 AM   #56

So Foxy is a "mole" from the company?
I've always wondered who was monitoring our group!
Thanks for the whole Sportsmobile thing!!!
Elltom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:15 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elltom
So Foxy is a "mole" from the company?
I've always wondered who was monitoring our group!
Thanks for the whole Sportsmobile thing!!!
You said what I was thinking. Lol
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:15 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellpilot
Commercial, residential developer. Own a aviation company providing helicopter wildfire suppression for US Forest Service and BLM. Other segments we provide are; fixed wing and rotor wing training. We are the fight provider for the community college and have 135 students currently enrolled in our program.

Love God. Dad, beautiful supporting wife, 3 kids, 2 dogs, 1 cat, 2 horses, 23 beef cattle, 1 2006 E350 6.0 Sportsmobile. Helicopter pilot, snowboarder.
Wish you were closer. I want to finish my fixed wing ppl.
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:24 PM   #59

I am a Chemical Engineer in food technology, retired, have worked for Bimbo (bakery) and Coca Cola bottling company in Sonora, México. I still use T Shirts, Caps, ice chests, etc. from Coke.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:55 PM   #60

Have been retired from TranWorld Airlines, since 1991,
after 40 Yrs.
As an Automatic Test Equipment Engineer for the
Autopilot Systems.
Got my Electronics Education in the Navy.
Have been camping for 55 yrs.
We have a 1990 Dodge Sportsmoble.
b250ramvan is offline   Reply With Quote