Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2022, 05:06 PM   #201
KDB

Couple of Pics here...One of of the rig in DV. Also pleased with the new bushwackers.
Attached Thumbnails
20211220_155220.jpg   20220108_155254.jpg  

KDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 12:54 PM   #202
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDB View Post
...2nd mod is going to be the wrappon toilet. It's a cool unit. WOrks well and held up to use in extremely cold weather. The waste is heat sealed so i had some serious concerns. Worked fine. I'll likely be taking out the third jumper seat in the rig to accommodate this as i intend to wall mount the box in approximately the same area as the seat. Im thinking the toilet will be mounted via ratchetting L brackets similar to my leather dinnette seats. As much as id like to keep the jumper I simply don't use it and the space is too valuable. It may end up for sale here on the forum. As i see it, the rare time id have a third person in the rig doesn't take priority of a comfortable and quick to use indoor loo. Especially in the snow and cold weather. My river rafting toilet did the job but something more permanently installed will be great...
Any further insight or opinions on the Wrappon? If I go with a truck camper, or an ambo, it seems a nice way to "go" (pun intended).

Herb
Old 04-16-2022, 10:10 PM   #203
KDB

Hi Herb,

So the wrappon is proving to be more of a difficult install that anticipated. Im being a bit uncommital on its mounting location and holding off a bit on moving forward with it wall mounted for now. My thoughts is that I'll likely relocate my telescopic ladder thats mounted along the wall and use that location. It may take some kind of aluminum flat bar mounted to the Wrappon to give the hinged L brackets somewhere firm to grab ahold.

Regarding the toilet itself it's a great unit. It withstood some -15 temps inside the van when my espar failed and it was able to still operate and heat seal the waste bag. For me that was a good sign of its industrial application from other industries. Wrappon is supposed to have some kind of bio plastic coming out soon as well - as in this year. I haven't followed up on that yet.

Biggest drawback is the set up - which is really not that big of a deal unless you've really gotta get to business. I have found myself setting it up in camp and putting it in the pass through walkway of the van under the lower bed and pull it out when needed. I can't say ive used it more than 6-8 times though so i'll hopefully put it to more use this coming summer and report back.

The other mods i did to the van was the new 20gal central water tank that was relocated inside behind the chest fridge. Black anodized aluminum case around the resevoir. Stronger pump, backlit water gauge, and a central fill from the front passenger cabinet. Really liking how that came out and will get some pics up here soon. That was performed by Rhune racing. THe pump is a bit loud so i'll have to make some adjustments. I also wired in a light strip in the horizontal driver side cabinet where the bath and hot shower set up are starting to take better shape.

Lastly my little new kickass oven is pretty sweet. Takes a bit to heat up but sips power and gets hot. It'll cook all kinds of small tasty items: muffins, biscuits, cookies, pot pies, small pizza's etc, etc. Definitely recommend. I got the aftermarket mounts for the oven as well - for those interested make sure to get those. Kaon brackets.

Glad your really thinking all this out, Herb. Worth the time and will make the build go smooooth....hopefully. Sounds like you are maybe drifting from the ambo and thinking truck camper? I vote ambo for the record!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Any further insight or opinions on the Wrappon? If I go with a truck camper, or an ambo, it seems a nice way to "go" (pun intended).

Herb
Old 04-17-2022, 09:15 AM   #204
Site Team

Oh I'm drifting alright, but its more of an aimless drift. The shortage of new and used rigs is not helping at all, but the higher fuel prices seem to be tempering the demand, at least for now.

I will say if I build a rig myself it will likely be an ambo, and if I buy a rig, it will likely be a pickup, possibly with a flatbed and camper.

Herb
Old 04-17-2022, 11:43 AM   #205

Following along with you both! (E350 4X4 -> Transit/4x4 -> many ambo perusals incl Type1/2/3 ->F350 flatbed/composite camper).
2010 E350 RB V10 Cargo "unicorn" (SOLD)
2007 E350 4x4 "VANdiana Jones"(SOLD)
mk216v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 07:01 AM   #206

Quote:
Ok, so what a few crazy weeks it's been. From picking up the rig at CCV in colorado to baja a week later (for 9 days). It's been a blur of adventure in the van. Im probably getting offtopic of this sub forum but i'll talk about my trip here anyhow and share some pics.

Great thread and even better Van. Much better than my first trip down to San Carlos (circa 1986) in a 1986 Toyota Pickup with a hard shell.

I was just wondering if the attached photo is San Carlos (famously known as the secret spot). That reef break just behind your van looks like what was called the "chilie bowel" because when you went down the line, the reef in that area would suddenly jack up 50-100% higher. Great windsurfing spot and now also for kiting.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_SecretSpot.jpg  
posplayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 11:18 PM   #207
KDB

Tx Posplayr....No that is not San Carlos. It's one of the many beautiful pacific punta's of baja maybe 10 hours south and out to the coast. A rich surf region during the winter. This particular point requires extra large surf to break. WHen it does it's a great wave. On this trip, however, we were kaying and spearing some large rock out croppings north of there with flat surf. This pic is looking south.

Quote:
Originally Posted by posplayr View Post
Great thread and even better Van. Much better than my first trip down to San Carlos (circa 1986) in a 1986 Toyota Pickup with a hard shell.

I was just wondering if the attached photo is San Carlos (famously known as the secret spot). That reef break just behind your van looks like what was called the "chilie bowel" because when you went down the line, the reef in that area would suddenly jack up 50-100% higher. Great windsurfing spot and now also for kiting.
Old 04-19-2022, 11:52 PM   #208

Quote:
Tx Posplayr....No that is not San Carlos. It's one of the many beautiful pacific punta's of baja maybe 10 hours south and out to the coast. A rich surf region during the winter. This particular point requires extra large surf to break. WHen it does it's a great wave. On this trip, however, we were kaying and spearing some large rock out croppings north of there with flat surf. This pic is looking south.
Thanks. I think my last trip down was closer to 2001, but as I recall it sure looks similar.
posplayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 10:13 PM   #209
KDB

So I was really hoping to get some traction on the Wrappon Toilet System but no headway made yet. Also the drop lighting for the toiletries and general shower head area (driver side horizontal cabinet) still needs the strip light. Wired up and ready to roll, however.

Here are some pics of the new water storage set up with outdoor shower head. I'll be using the Joolca as my hot water source running from a 1lb propane tank... for now. My intentions are to run a propane line for the shower in the near future. Having a quick disonnect for the propane in that area is what im after. Swagelock will be my choice for that - reliable pressurized gas quick disonnects. I wouldn't use anything else and i work with these valves regularly.

The pics show the water tank in an aluminum housing with an illuminated gauge. The gauge hass proven to be nice as its under the lower bed which is fairly dark and is also the bed is use primarily. The water tank and case live behind the fridge along the back of the passenger side wall. My previously design worked well enough but was really a short term solution. THe current setup centralizes my weight, increases water capacity significantly, takes advantage of the interior space - which there's quite a bit of, and frees up an entire external cabinets worth of space for additional gear. 30-35 gallon fresh water capacity is what im now capable of. SHould be great for those extended trips - which i haven't had in years!

The water pump is located next to the water tank in the housing. As i mentioned previously it's a bit louder than i wanted but eventually im going to add a small pressurized water tank holding tank (.25 - .5gal) to even out the water flow and prevent the pump from running continuously. The water fill is located outside in the front passenger cabinet - shown in the pic. I use a quick disonnect for connecting to the Joolca water pump. The pump can plumb to other jerry cans, bodies of water, etc. The egress from the tank is the line to the left in the pic which goes to a T valve where one side heads to my sink and and the other to a secondary on and off valve for the showerhead (shown in pic). The tank overflow and air vent goes from the top of the tank directly down through the floor to underneath the vehicle.

The kickass oven sips power and works well. Takes a bit longer than an average oven to heat up but does a good job. Ive made pot pies, cookies, etc. Just turn it on early and come back after 30 minutes or so to start use.

The pic with the yellow bag is inverted. I forgot to downsize it. That's my driver side horizontal cabinet.
Attached Thumbnails
20220326_174853.jpg   20220326_174901.jpg   20220528_150722.jpg   Resized_20220515_163624.jpg   20220528_204419.jpg  

20220618_140541.jpg   20220618_134710.jpg   20220618_134727.jpg   20220529_095517.jpg   20220620_200216.jpg  

Old 06-21-2022, 07:29 PM   #210

Garage
It's interesting to follow as you continue to 'tweek' your initial design - learn something each time you update.

Like BrancoHauler, we had been contemplating a flatbed truck with camper for the last three or so years...but each time you post you leave us struggling with indecision!
Just can't get the idea out of my head to build on a similar platform - your CCV top install was an awesome idea, and looks as good as it sounded when you announced you were pursuing it. Coupled with my attraction to all the outside compartments you have.