Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2018, 01:10 PM   #1
KDB

6.0 e350 Stahl Service Body Build

Hello! New to the forum. Long time lurker. I finally did it. Found the platform i've been looking for. I've had a pop up skamper and toyota truck combo, travel trailers, overland truck with hard top tent, etc but nothing has me quite as excited as this project. It's a bullet proofed 6.0 liter ford with 105k and storage to boot thanks to the Stahl utility body. Has anyone seen another van service body conversion? I've looked but have yet to find one. Im extremely excited to hit the road with this beast needless to say. It's got the feel of a zombie response vehicle. Affectionately called Basecamp. It's currently in San Diego receiving it's conversion from Agile Offroad. Lots of modifications to come: solar storage using the Inergy kodiak and agm secondary battery, 400 watts of panels, a darche 270 awning, custom aluminess roof rack, a modified Tiger Siberian bumper (which pairs with the vehicle really well), propex heater, upper rear sliding windows, ladder, etc etc. The interior will receive some work as well but will be a bit spartan and really utility driven. It's meant to be a live outside vehicle though interior accommodations will be quite comfortable. I see it as a large hybrid Ute canopy vehicle. The horizontal door's located on the sides of the vehicle open up to the interior. All others are enclosed storage accessed from the outside only (for now). Nearly a queen sized bed (sleeping perpendicular, my trusty old ARB fridge, single burner stove, insulation and some kind of tight weave carpet on top of that. I'd love some basic insulation tips from anyone willing to provide a few. I'll dive more into that here on the forum when the time comes. Complete paint job will eventually follow but it'll take me a bit of time and more $ to get that done. Here are a few before and in mid conversion pics.

Thanks to all who have shared on this forum. I look forward to learning what i can and building out on my first 'real' exped vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180924_163550216.jpg   IMG_20181002_160828027.jpg   IMG-4363.jpg   IMG-4360.jpg   37415.jpg  

37416.jpg   IMG-4340.jpg   IMG-4369.jpg  

KDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 02:01 PM   #2

Garage
Many here will gladly help you spend some money...great platform to start with by the way!
Those rigs are cool, and will make an excellent "basecamp" - I envy all the storage. Out of curiosity, what does it weigh in at now? and what lift did you decide to put on it (4", 6")?
Old 12-23-2018, 02:52 PM   #3
KDB

Thanks TwoX! The van definitley needs more $ put into it. The interior will be pretty no frills. I just want it insulated well. Single burner stove. My arb fridge, kodiak solar battery etc i already have. Just need to fashion some secure mounting points for the items i intend to use with it. No weight and the vehicle isn't with me at the moment so im unable to check to see if that's tagged in the door somewhere. It's feel pretty nimble for it's size and pulled very strong up and over the grape vine on the 8hr drive to San Diego. I'd like to scale it once i get it back, however. Lots more to come on the build out. Yes, the storage is great. Probably more than i need, really. I got the 4" lift on 33's.
Old 12-23-2018, 03:42 PM   #4
Site Team

Pop top, pop top, pop top....

Herb
Old 12-23-2018, 04:18 PM   #5
KDB

It's on the future 'to do's'. Who might i contact to do a custom pop top? I'm not certain SMB or CCV would accommodate the vehicle. I haven't reached out to them yet either. Just what i've gathered from quick online searches on the topic. It will also have to support at least 500lbs to accommodate with roof rack with yaks, surfboards, etc. I'm hoping the pop top won't require a new roof rack platform as that's going on here shortly.
Old 12-23-2018, 04:25 PM   #6
KDB

Looks like i neglected to put this pic up.
Attached Thumbnails
Basecamp1.jpg  
Old 12-23-2018, 04:27 PM   #7
KDB

And one more...
Attached Thumbnails
On the rack.jpg  
Old 12-23-2018, 04:46 PM   #8

What's the GVWR of that fine machine?
Old 12-23-2018, 04:51 PM   #9
MSD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDB View Post
It's on the future 'to do's'. Who might i contact to do a custom pop top? I'm not certain SMB or CCV would accommodate the vehicle. I haven't reached out to them yet either. Just what i've gathered from quick online searches on the topic. It will also have to support at least 500lbs to accommodate with roof rack with yaks, surfboards, etc. I'm hoping the pop top won't require a new roof rack platform as that's going on here shortly.
Yes we’ll put a pop top on it when you’re ready... you can email me at mark@coloradocampervan.com Love this platform
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 05:30 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSD View Post
Yes we’ll put a pop top on it when you’re ready... you can email me at mark@coloradocampervan.com Love this platform
And my mission of helping others spend their money continues. Seriously though, I've dreamed of a pop top on a van body like this for a long time. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Herb