Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2023, 10:48 PM   #1

2024 Solar Eclipse

We have a couple of van trips in the planning stages for 2024, one that I’m thinking about is to find myself in the Solar Eclipse Path of Totality on April 8th. We took the van to Idaho for the 2017 eclipse and it was a wonderful experience and one I’m thinking of repeating. Early April might be a bit early in the year to head north, so I’m thinking of a southern trip that takes us to the path of totality somewhere between Texas and Missouri. That way I can swing back up through Iowa to visit friends and family in my old hometown as I work my way back west. I don’t believe we will see another total solar eclipse here in the states until 2045, so this is a good opportunity to do so. For those of you thinking about it, below is the Path of Totality across the country. Any thoughts and/or suggestions for a path of totality viewing location would be appreciated, please pass them on here.

Old 12-21-2023, 11:44 PM   #2

My business was on the edge of the 'path of totality' in 2021.
It was OK, we all grabbed welding goggles and sat outside for 20 minutes.

I am toying with the idea of attending the eclipse at 'Desperado Ranch'.
Not because I'm a huge celestial event fan, but just because I like guns and his youtube channel. Also, camping.

Oh, I also just realized it covers my moms place in AR also.
kbeefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 01:38 PM   #3

We are doing something in TX and tying in a trip to the Big Bend area either before or after.
Old 12-25-2023, 10:54 AM   #4
Site Team

Garage
Wish it was closer but this eclipse does spur me into making it to the path of totality. I've never seen a total eclipse only an annular. I got this little robotic camera scope that I just put into service called a Seestar S50. It takes a lot of the hassle of capturing images/video and has a solar mode. As much as I like to use a camera to record the event, I like to experience the eclipse without dealing with a camera. The S50 will get used even if I don't reach the path of totality.

I got these shots a few months ago using a 90mm Maksutov telescope outfitted with a solar filter while using my cell phone.
Attached Thumbnails
Eclipse-Nasa Crows Landing airport.jpg  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 12:09 PM   #5

We will be down in Granite Shoals. Unfortunately the van is staying home on this trip.
Wichiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 02:09 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
Wish it was closer but this eclipse does spur me into making it to the path of totality. I've never seen a total eclipse only an annular. I got this little robotic camera scope that I just put into service called a Seestar S50. It takes a lot of the hassle of capturing images/video and has a solar mode. As much as I like to use a camera to record the event, I like to experience the eclipse without dealing with a camera. The S50 will get used even if I don't reach the path of totality.

I got these shots a few months ago using a 90mm Maksutov telescope outfitted with a solar filter while using my cell phone.
Cool photos.
Old 12-26-2023, 08:04 AM   #7

My wife and I are planning on viewing from San Antonio, TX area. Visiting Big Bend Natl Park beforehand. Read somewhere that, weather-wise Texas has highest probability in US of being cloud free on Apr 8. This is a link to a site with lots of info.

https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/april-8-2024
Old 12-26-2023, 11:39 AM   #8

Good link, thanks for passing on the info!
Still looking for viewing sites, might have to go visit my nephew in Texas.
Old 12-27-2023, 03:13 PM   #9

We went up to the prairie outside of Riverton WY in 2017 for the total and it was simply awesome. We also went over to Bluff UT in a nice spot for the annular this October. One thing about both of these events, landowners/farmers/ranchers had signs up for renting space on their private property for camping and eclipse viewing. We camped on public lands but those opportunities will be frequent all along the path of totality is our feeling.

If you are closer to population centers for the viewing, you may want to camp out an extra night to avoid the traffic post eclipse. The traffic in central WY after the show was horrific. Horrific. Total mess for many, many miles with people heading home. Keep that in mind.
Old 12-29-2023, 03:46 PM   #10

Looks like it crosses through AR. Could be a good time to do some spring riding in Bentonville and catch that as a bonus.

'05 Pleasure Way Excel TS V10, still boring and 2wd
b. rock is offline   Reply With Quote