Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2022, 11:20 AM   #1

Dirt Roads from...to... Valley of Fire - Zion- Bryce - Grand Staircase

Hey guys

I'm planning on a south Utah/ North Arizona Trip mid/end of April and I'm currently looking for road proposals or even gpx files for the trip. If we could find some routes offroad or on dirt that would make the trip much nicer.

I hope I'm not too early as it's seems to be fairly cold end of April...

Basic Info:
- 7-8 days between arrival in the area and taking off
- Van interior without serious built out, so fairly light
- 4" lift, 2WD locked, 35's, Falken AT3W, 4.56 diff gear ratio, traction boards, front winch :-)
--> concrete/ asphalt < dirt roads < bumpy roads. no crawling ;-)

Tour plans and locations:
Think of it as if I would take off in Valley of Fire.

1st stretch: Valley of Fire to Zion/ Pa'rus
Is there a nicer tour beside the highway? Perhaps I have a chance of stopping by at Matt's Offroad Recovery and take a peek at his Morrvair! :-)

2nd part: Zion to Cannonville/ Henrieville
From Zion I'd go north east towards Bryce or Cannonville. I don't specifically need to see Bryce, but if it's on the way...
So we would stay somewhere in the area of Kodachrome Basin, Rock Springs Bench Campsite, ...

3rd leg: Henrieville to Grand Staircase
From Henrieville I would go south via the 7000/ Cottonwood Canyon Road, crossing 89 to eventually drive Cockscomb/ House Rock Rd. down to the Rim.

So I'm specifically interested in the first 2 legs and would appreciate if you'd give some input.

Best!

E-350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 03:06 PM   #2

We were in the St. George area last spring & spent a little time exploring, MTN biking and camping. We even stopped in and got an autographed t-shirt from Matt himself. We're such geeks...

The areas around Wire Mesa & Gooseberry Mesa are absolutely gorgeous & a bucket list MTN bike area. The roads aren't too bad getting in & out. We didn't use 4x4 at all. We found an awesome campsite right at the edge of Wire Mesa (37.133256, -113.070641) and sat around our campfire watching some guys repel down the mouth of a cave.

There's two ways in to Wire Mesa. Coming in from the area near the entrance to Zion (off Smithsonian Bute Rd.) has a bit of a steep climb up to the mesa, but is in good shape & with good traction. The other way, from Hwy 59 is already on the mesa so it's basically a flat dirt access road.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7059 (2).jpg   IMG_6968 (2).jpg   IMG_7046 (2).jpg   IMG_7022 (2).jpg   IMG_7017 (2).jpg  

IMG_7049 (2).jpg  
Old 02-28-2022, 03:15 PM   #3

You might also check out Toquerville Falls (37.30050, -113.24670). The road conditions can vary, but when not too torn up from side-by-sides, a high clearance vehicle should do just fine.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN1594.jpg   utah-toquerville-falls.jpg   Toquerville Falls.jpg  
Old 02-28-2022, 03:39 PM   #4

I also did a little exploring in the Red Cliffs National Conservation Area. I did a 4 hour loop on decent dirt roads from Silver Reef (near Leeds) up through Yankee Doodle Canyon and back into St. George. Look for Forest Road 031. I went by an old abandoned mine, a pioneer cemetery from 1870, an old ranch settlement, through pine trees, canyons & valleys. It was quite the diverse drive.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6809 (2).jpg   IMG_6872 (2).jpg   IMG_6922 (2).jpg   IMG_6888 (2).jpg   IMG_6926 (2).jpg  

IMG_6951 (2).jpg  
Old 02-28-2022, 05:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
You might also check out Toquerville Falls (37.30050, -113.24670). The road conditions can vary, but when not too torn up from side-by-sides, a high clearance vehicle should do just fine.

Uuuhhhh! How could I forget [emoji23]
Wanted to go there for some weeks, but had it sorted further north. Thanks for the reminder!
Old 03-01-2022, 11:25 AM   #6

Looks like I got to adjust my plans a bit: 67 down to North Rim is closed till mid May based on the NP website.

Not sure whether or not I can get to Point Sublime or so w/o using 67, but I guess that will be closed as well…
Old 03-01-2022, 01:12 PM   #7

I'm headed out there in a couple of weeks. I too am very curious if I'll be able to get around the North Rim area. I am hoping I'll at least be able to get to White Pocket.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 03:45 PM   #8

The main road to the North Rim & Sublime Point are normally closed until May 15th. However, they can extend it if there is still too much snow. They won't open it any sooner. Even if there's no snow.

I don't know how long it's been this way, but you need to get a permit to camp on Sublime Point. Call as early as you can, as they only allow I think 6 rigs at a time & it books up fast.
Old 03-01-2022, 07:38 PM   #9

Correct but there are a lot of other great points there that are free and amazing if you can get to them. We had one to ourselves a few years ago for a night or two. Crazy Jug Point, IIRC.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 11:34 PM   #10

Crazy Jug looks cool, will keep it in mind.

South Rim in generally warmer than North?! Is that true?