Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2023, 09:26 PM   #1

Quick Death Valley Trip - SMB + Rivian

Took a quick trip to Death Valley, mostly because I wanted to check out my Rivian R1T on one of my favorite off-road tracks into Death Valley - the Goler Wash - and then see if I could actually charge it enough to drive around and enjoy this beautiful park. We set out from LA then charged up to 98% at the Rivian supercharger in Inyo-Kern which is 123 miles from Furnace Creek. Death Valley currently has six level 2 chargers (5 of which were working, 2 of which were available when we recharged on a Saturday evening...it's a bit embarrassing that there's not a supercharger at the HQ of a national park.)

We were travelling with my Sportsmobile van. Here we are in the middle of the Goler Wash. I have street tires on the R1T so I was a bit concerned about sidewall tire damage. The Goler Wash trip is about 50 miles of mild/rocky pretty typical desert dirt road on either side of some "difficult" rated rock trail in the middle over Mengel Pass. Both trucks did great. No problem at all with clearance or traction or range. The next day we drove 12 miles each way up Echo Canyon and camped overnight. It was beautiful. This road was mild the first 9 miles and then got worse until we hit an impassable (to us) solid rockfall which really required a specialized rock crawler to mount. We drove back to Furnace Creek with about 100 miles of range left, charged overnight to 90% (free) and then hit the road home. Great trip and great truck.

Previously I had taken the Rivian on a portion of the Mojave Road. We hit some soft sand and crossed maybe 16" deep water. Truck did great here as well. On all these trips, I aired down to 37-ish pounds tire pressure for improved traction/floatation but mostly for a bit more comfort. That said, the Rivian is way more comfortable than the Sportsmobile. Based on these two trips I would have a lot of confidence going off-road anywhere I can plan to get charged back up.
Attached Thumbnails
Rivian and SMB in Goler Wash.jpg  

bolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 03:30 AM   #2

Garage
Cool, thanks for posting.
Old 05-15-2023, 10:02 AM   #3

Interesting to see that those cars are being tested :-)
I once winched an I-Pace out of the mud in an offroad park. He was testing the electric one in comparison to his Outback. Said the immediate torque makes the main difference and you got to be more careful on the gas :-)
E-350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 10:10 AM   #4

Very cool and thanks for sharing. Glad to hear some first-hand stories of EVs being used to get off the beaten path without somebody screaming about how they are going to be stranded with no power.
Santa Cruz, CA
nyyankees588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 12:39 PM   #5

Very cool, thanks for sharing!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote