Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2022, 12:24 AM   #1

Garage
Summer Road trip - Zion, N Rim G Canyon, Bryce, Escalante & Capital Reef

I’m planning a 2 week trip mid June. I’m taking my family on another adventure in our 2006 Sportsmobile E350 4x4. I’m looking for advice from the forum again on locations to camp in the van away from the crowds and see the sites. We really enjoy finding secluded, what I call “sneaky spots” to park and pop the top for the night. I’m also seeing there are good opportunities to drive dirt roads between the highways to connect the parks/monuments.

We’re visiting:
Zion NP
The North Rim of the Grand Canyon NP
Bryce Canyons NP
Escalante NM areas
Capital Reef NP areas

Hulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 09:15 AM   #2

Between Bryce and GCNP it's hard to go wrong with the Cockscomb Rd connecting hwy 12 and 89.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 05:40 PM   #3

Around Zion:
Wire Mesa/ Smithsonion Butte Rd for less crowded camping
Click image for larger version

Name:	70fc2775-296b-4e31-a5e7-57d3ea9d1bcb.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	43976

Toquerville Falls in case you like rougher terrain.
We turned around with our locked 2WD and 6“ lift at the very last obstacle as it was very washed out/ a big boulder step. With a second car or 4x4 I would have tried it.
E-350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 06:19 PM   #4

Technically, there is no camping allowed within 1/2 mile of the main road (Smithsonian Butte road) near Wire Mesa. Lots of other options in the area though but crowded on weekends. Although maybe not in June. It will be getting toasty for mtn biking.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 10:15 AM   #5

Driving up Kolob Terrace Road (KTR) west of Zion there are fun spots to explore. You get up to higher elevation up on the Terrace so it can be nice to escape the heat.

Gooseberry Mesa also west of the park has some good camping up on the Mesa. Prime MTB area so it can get crowded on weekends.

North Fork Road (accessed from E. side of the park, or some good adventures to be had circumnavigating from Cedar City) has some higher elevation camping up in the pines.

Views and experience from Gooseberry and KTR are more quintessentially "Zion" than N. Fork.

Capitol Reef - either as a long day or a multi-day loop heading E from Torrey - don't miss Notom Bullfrog -> Burr Trail -> Boulder. Then drive Boulder -> Escalante on Hell's Backbone. There are places to camp off the Burr Trail before you head into Boulder. Incredible camping opportunities from Escalante out the Hole in the Rock Road [consider Spooky and Peekaboo Canyons if you're adventurous].

The 4x4 Road North from Burr Trail once you climb the switchbacks and the picnic area to the south are both incredible for seeing the reef up close and personal.
OlyEsteban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 12:47 AM   #6

Garage
Thank you

Thank you all for the great ideas and options. I have been researching all of these roads and your input fills in the big picture.

I’m very interested in all of the roads and areas your all suggesting.

I also was looking at the high clearance and 4x4 roads that head East up the Grand Canyon North rim. I see Tater Ridge off hw 67 before the GC entrance. That area has over 40 miles of roads that go the the GC rim in multiple places as it heals up river and returns to HW 89a. Has anyone ventured out in that area?

I’m also looking at Point Sublime road just before the GC entry gate. It heads West up to a canyon overlook and shows a camping symbol. It could be a close camp spot to go into the CG visitors area. Instead of camping further away.
Hulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 06:22 AM   #7
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Check for current closures and restrictions, Toroweap overlook is another remote North GC option, best to be prepared, it is super remote.

https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/tuweep.htm

Be forewarned, Hole in the rock road out of Escalante, certainly worth exploring, had some of the worst sustained washboard conditions we have ever experienced when we visited last, it has also become a super popular area, hence the washboard. I’m just surprised the dirt roads weren’t better maintained as popular as it’s become. We were out there years ago and didn’t see a soul, had to bail out after rain made conditions downright scary.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 10:09 AM   #8

Point Sublime is sublime but you'll need a permit to camp there. There are only 2 spots out there but stop by the backcountry permit office to see if you can get one. Might luck out like we did a few years ago.
Old 06-01-2022, 09:18 PM   #9

In Capitol Reef there is the Cathedral Valley loop. There is a very nice campground about halfway along the length. It has the typical NPS pit toilets. As I recall there was no charge to camp there. It is at around 7000 feet and in the pinyon juniper zone. Also, in CRNP is the Pleasant Creek Road loop. It takes off from the road down to Capitol Gorge and continues until it hits Highway 12 up on the flank of Boulder Mountain. I've never camped along it though. I just drove it and back to the campground.

Chris
DesertSMB is offline   Reply With Quote