Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2024, 11:26 AM   #1

Colorado Camper Van Replacement Mattress

As a proud owner of an E350 van with a Colordado Camper Van poptop, I have my bed up top in the popup area. Unfortunately, the Colorado Camper Van mattresses leave a lot to be desired.

Step 1, I pulled the open cell foam out replaced it with high density memory foam. This made no real difference.

Step 2, I put 1/2" high density foam between the mattress pads and the support. This made no real difference.

Step 3, I put two Therm-a-rest mattresses, 2" thick, between the mattress pads and the support. This made it tolerable, but we now had 5 pieces moving around - main mattress pad, the two extra pads, and the two therm-a-rests.

Step 4, big brain time. Took all that garbage out. Replaced it with an Exped Megamat Duo 10. Fits perfect, nice and thick, one piece, folds up if I want more head room. Underappreciated advantage - since it has air chambers, it will collapse more than the stock mattresses. This lets me leave a thin bed made up and still not run into issues putting the roof down on my low top CCV.

The stock CCV stuff I bagged up in one of those mattress vacuum bags, when I move the van on down the road I will toss it in the back, along with all the other stock stuff I have removed.

Big_ern_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 02:14 PM   #2

I am using the same but I have the OG SMB mattress. I believe they increased the thickness of those at some point. Mine is a 2012.
Old 04-19-2024, 06:43 PM   #3

We had the same issues with the stock CCV mattress pads. I added a slat/spring bed base from IKEA. You can see pictures in my build thread.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...tml#post261346

Since this post I replaced the 4" foam with a 6" foam mattress, since we have a high-top CCV, I had plenty of room for the springs and a thick mattress. This setup has been great for comfort.
cthayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 09:21 PM   #4

My 93 SMB has painfully thin mattresses in the penthouse. It is also divided into 3 segments. If I could get up off my butt and measure the bed which I think is a full, I could go with a 6" memory foam trifold mattress, take the cover to my local tailor shop and make the individual segments separate from each other and sewn up.

For the regular lower bunk I have the original pads with a 3" memory foam topper and it sleeps like a dream.
dbhosttexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 10:21 AM   #5

We bought a 3" medium (30 ILD) latex mattress for our pop top mattress in 2018. Recently we were looking for more comfort, as my wife is a side-sleeper and the 3" mattress wasn't enough for that. We ordered a Froli STAR kit this spring, and it has been a huge improvement! It adds 1.75" of height, and the springs are individually "tunable" so you can have softer or firmer zones. Not cheap, but highly recommended.

https://nickleatlantic.com/collectio...iant=706482855
Old 04-25-2024, 11:13 AM   #6

Thanks Big Ern, between you and Steve_382 (trying to sell his van for a while), I learned about Exped...got the wife bought in, now just trying to figure out which one to get. I've got a separate thread going on this subject, so I will report back there about what we get.

I love this forum!

MarinBlaine
"MooseMobile"
2001 E250 5.4 EB50 Aero Hightop
MarinBlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 06:33 PM   #7

We got a quality air mattress. Deflates flat for dropping the top with blankets, but it's soft for sleeping.
BK8LST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 11:19 AM   #8

If you have the low roof CCV, Exped Megamat Duo 10 fits with no issues at all and leaves enough room to collase the roof with sleeping bags or blankets - still gotta pull the pillows down. I don't think the thicker one would work.

If you have a high roof CCV, the thicker one would fit but I don't like the idea of that large of a gap between the mattress and the side wall. And with the smooth support under the mattress I dont think I would need a thicker mattress. Not like you are trying to absorb rocks and roots.

If you have a Sportsmobile - I can't help ya.

I am now at 10 days on the Exped mat since I bought it and loving every second of it. Would pay double.
Old 04-29-2024, 12:21 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_ern_101 View Post
If you have the low roof CCV, Exped Megamat Duo 10 fits with no issues at all and leaves enough room to collase the roof with sleeping bags or blankets - still gotta pull the pillows down. I don't think the thicker one would work.

If you have a high roof CCV, the thicker one would fit but I don't like the idea of that large of a gap between the mattress and the side wall. And with the smooth support under the mattress I dont think I would need a thicker mattress. Not like you are trying to absorb rocks and roots.

If you have a Sportsmobile - I can't help ya.

I am now at 10 days on the Exped mat since I bought it and loving every second of it. Would pay double.
So are you putting this directly on the boards and removing all the foam cushions that come from CCV?
Old 04-29-2024, 07:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandiesel View Post
So are you putting this directly on the boards and removing all the foam cushions that come from CCV?
Correct. All the foam and fabric has been stored in one of those mattress vacuum bags you get on amazon for $20. Will be perfect for the next owner.

I put my new mattress directly on the rigid floor of the CCV top.