Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2020, 03:20 PM   #1

EB49 Power To Passenger Side

The circuit box for the EB49 layout is under the gaucho couch on the driver side. I'm needing to install a 12V water heater under the sink on the passenger side.

Was wondering if anyone has routed power to the passenger side before / if they noted how they went about doing it. I've been searching, haven't found anything yet.

It looks like it would be quite painful as you'd have to somehow gain access behind the false walls...

Any thoughts are appreciated!

adamwcordell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 08:33 AM   #2

I'd come right off the house batteries with a good fuse/breaker for a water heater. Where are your batteries?

To answer your question though, I'd go through the floor. If it were me and there is no power anywhere on passenger side I'd add large cable to that side and another fuse block, then you can add charger ports, lights or whatever you might like to in the future.

For a more specific answer we would need to see pics of your current setup and know the specs of the HWH.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 09:06 AM   #3

Thanks for the quick response. Your suggestion is kind of what I was concluding last night as I was poking around. The house batteries are right under the cargo door so I could just come right up through the floor there. Scared to put a hole in the floor. Going to spend countless hours looking for ways to do that now haha
Old 01-01-2021, 10:23 AM   #4

In general the passenger side has a 30 amp circuit along the top, pretty much any thing small comes off of that circuit.

I am not a big fan of multiple wires coming from the terminals of the battery, in this case it might be the best solution. There are a couple of questions I would have first. What is the rating of the 12 volt heater. The wattage will drive what wire size you need, this will be even more important if you have to make the longer run around. Also going direct to the battery could impact fuse choices.

The second is do you now have or are you planning on having a battery monitor? This will become important on how you handle the grounding.

Typically I found relief between the bottom of the cabinets and the wall and have made wire run behind the cabinets. Being that you have a EB 49, you should have a wall in the back of some height. That would make it easier than some versions.

Going through the floor is not that tuff I generally use cable glands. The key is to drill a larger hole thru the SMB subfloor first that is be enough to give access to the gland nut. Don't drill all the way through, then switch to the smaller bit for the gland pass thru.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 10:45 AM   #5

The heater draws 16A. If I can find that 30A circuit I could use that it sounds like. I have very limited experience with wiring.

So if I understand, there should be a 30A wire coming off the fuse box, running from driver side to the passenger side and I can just splice the 16A wire into this? The catch being if I'm running the heater plus whatever else is hooked up to that 30A circuit I could blow the fuse?

To answer the battery monitoring question, I plan to have one at some point. Was hoping to put this in my plans when I get solar installed. I have a long way to go though so no time soon.
Old 01-01-2021, 10:50 AM   #6

P.s. I'll post some pictures once I really get into this thing. Working on a plate to house the heater/pluming/electrical now.