Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2011, 10:28 AM   #31

Re: My 1994 SMB project.

Now take the top off and the engine out...

Old 04-02-2011, 05:57 PM   #32

Land Shuttle Endeavor

It's been a long time since my last update. I was out of town on business for a couple weeks, but before I left I did complete my floor. I was going to post before leaving, but the site was down.

I installed solid vinyl, lock together, garage floor tiles with a coin pattern. They were easy to work with and since I'm having to cut around existing holes and cables, etc, it was nice to use tiles instead of a sheet. The tiles lock together but still have a straight seem that the manufacturer says is water resistant. I installed with an adhesive for solid vinyl floors instead of floating the floor as you would in a garage application.

I'm using 1" aluminum angle for exposed edges. Here's the floor hatch:

I pre-cut all the tiles, before gluing. The vinyl cut really nice and clean whether with a table saw, router, drill press, jig saw, or utility knife.

This project took two days to complete. I'll continue with the next day in the following post.
Attached Thumbnails
P1000527.JPG   P1000528.JPG   P1000526.JPG  
leoberk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:08 PM   #33

Re: Land Shuttle Endeavor

I forgot to mention that I've named my van and renamed this thread to "Land Shuttle Endeavor." The name reflects the appearance of my van, honors the now defunct space shuttle, and acknowledges the effort involved in rehabilitating this thing.

Here's pictures of the finished floor.

You'll notice that there are edges around the sunken floor where I didn't put aluminum angle. The new cabinets will be covering these edges so I decided it was necessary.

I also managed to get most of the fiberglass insulation installed using 3M #90 spray adhesive.

Hopefully, tomorrow I'll finish the insulation and start working on the side panels.
Attached Thumbnails
_MG_4683.JPG   _MG_4685.JPG   _MG_4690.JPG  
Old 04-03-2011, 12:11 AM   #34

looking great! btw, I (heart) your table saw setup - very nice!
Old 04-03-2011, 11:11 AM   #35

Noticed that you had a cat supervisor as well as the three-year old. Looks like the Endeavor is going to have some great memories.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:35 PM   #36

Well, it's been a long time since I last posted. Luckily, I've got some progress to show for it. With as much time as has passed, I wish I were showing the finished product, but I've got half the cabinets installed. I've finished the tougher half first so that should give me a feeling of momentum as I start on the passenger side cabinets. I've learned a lot and have been getting better and faster as I go. Overall, I'm happy with the result. I installed the old seat cushions today to get an idea of how I will rebuild them. I didn't mount the back cushion because I'm going to make a taller cushion for the replacement.

I got rid of the old slide out pantry and used the space to make more counter area and to create a more open space to the back of the van. I really like the concept of the pantry, but it had to go.

Other than the galley, the rest of the cabinets have stayed mostly the same.

This cabinet sticks out over the galley, but actually doesn't feel in the way. Thought it might be nice for storing bigger stuff. Still need to add a trim piece to cover the seam where the wall panels come together.

Galley pictures in the next post . . .
Attached Thumbnails
_MG_6966.JPG   _MG_6971.JPG   _MG_6973.JPG  
Old 05-30-2011, 10:43 PM   #37

The galley took the most vacillating, planning, and work. I'm pretty happy with the way it came out. If I had more time and money, I probably would have included another drawer or two. But I like the idea of putting plastic tubs in the cupboards so that I can take everything out to a picnic table if necessary.

Haven't re-installed the trim piece over the window yet. The top left cutout is a small drawer. The bottom right is the trash.

Bought a piece of corian and a bar sink from the architectural salvage store for $50. Undermounted the sink and made a cover for it with left over corian. I mounted the stove sideways to make a little bit of counter space to the side and allow room for my drawer.

I'll post again after I get the passenger side done. Hopefully it won't take too long . . .
Attached Thumbnails
_MG_6974.JPG   _MG_6976.JPG  
Old 05-30-2011, 11:10 PM   #38
Site Team

Wow! Your van is looking great. I admire anyone who has DIY skills. Sadly I have none. I'm one of those who has to pay people to build my dreams. It doesn't create as much pride, but at least I get joy out of my SMB. Not only will you enjoy camping in your van, you will enjoy even more so the knowledge that you made it what it is. That's sweet!
Old 05-31-2011, 12:48 AM   #39

Wow congratulations your van is looking wonderful! Nice finish too
+ 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero Hirsch
+ 1972 Saab 96 V4 (not running)
+ fixed house (Argh)
saabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:41 AM   #40

Very nice work
Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote