Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2010, 03:17 PM   #31
Site Team

Re: Largest Tire Size for Stock 4X2 2002 Ford E250 Van

Jage:

Thanks so much for your thorough information. Fortunately I have decided to lift the van first and then buy the tires and wheels. That way I should be able to make the right decision. I'm still waiting for Camburg to shift all of the parts to Las Vegas so I can get it done. Apparently everyone at Camburg went to "the races" for a week, so there shipping rate has been very slow. I'm hoping to have it done next week. The good news in the delay is I've had more royalties come in from my book sales so now I can pay for everything upfront. I'll keep you posted on the progress.

Thanks again to everyone for your help!!!!

Mac

Old 11-16-2010, 12:29 PM   #32
Site Team

For those of you who have been waiting to see pictures of my lifted van, like me you will have to continue to wait. I've been getting the run-around from Camburg regarding when they will ship out the parts. I ordered them on Oct 21 and was told it would take a week to ship. It's now November 16 and this morning Camburg said the parts should be shipped out "next week." One week they said they couldn't ship the parts out because "everyone is at the races." Now they say they are waiting for some part to come in before they can ship everything out. Since I've already paid a $1800 down payment to 4Wheel Parts, who will be installing the lift, I'm getting a little irritated with Camburg. I hope my experience is an anomaly and not Camburg's normal way of conducting business. Stay tuned. I hope there is a happy ending to this long, drawn out saga.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:27 PM   #33
Site Team

I've decided to cancel my order for a Camburg lift. It's been over a month of "it will ship out in a week or two" responses from Camburg without any explanation of the delay. When asked about the delay they say "we're waiting for a part." When asked which part, they cannot specify which part they are waiting for. In other words they are giving me the run around. Not once did Camburg ever call me to inform me of the delays. I had to contact them repeatedly to ask when the parts would be shipped. I don't know what is going on at Camburg but it's not the type of service I would expect from a company such as this. Too bad! I was excited about getting my van lifted; but now I'm just irritated! Hopefully others will see this post and avoid the hassles I've had with Camburg.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:36 AM   #34
Site Team

I finally got my van lifted by Action Vans in San Clemente, California. They did a great job. And I also put new tires and rims on my van. Here are some pictures:

Pre-lift
Post lift

Tires and wheels. The tires are 285/75R16 Falken Rocky Mountain ATS. As you can see they have very little clearance in the front. They actually rub in a tight turn. But I'm hoping to add Aluminess bumpers in the future so, hopefully, it wont be a concern.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:50 PM   #35
Site Team

Garage

Looks great. I really like those rims. What is their weight rating?

Dave.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:32 PM   #36
Site Team

Sorry Daveb, I don't know the weight rating of the rims. You can't ask me technical questions because beyond knowing the gas pedal makes my van go and the brake makes it stop, that's the extent of my automotive acumen. This, of course, puts me at a severe strategic and tactical disadvantage when I am at a Sportsmobile Meet and Greet where I am relegated to short conversations about the weather. FYI - it's sunny and 62 degrees here in Vegas.

Is there a way for me to find out the weight rating that doesn't entail taking the tire off and reading something stamped on the inside of the rim?
Old 01-26-2011, 06:42 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmcintire
Is there a way for me to find out the weight rating that doesn't entail taking the tire off and reading something stamped on the inside of the rim?
Maybe the website of the wheel manufacturer. Or maybe a phone call to the guys that sold the wheels to you.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:38 PM   #38
Site Team

I went to the website and it does not give any information about the weight rating of the 16x8.5 8-165.1 MB V-Drive BMF 125 wheels. It only says they are rated for SUV use. I'm not sure the folks at Discount Tire would know anything more than what the websites says. But I'll ask.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:24 PM   #39
Site Team

Garage

I asked because a friend of mine has cracked two rims W/I a year and is looking for a good rim. My van like his weighs in at slightly over 11K with no extra equipment on board. Weight is a major safety factor with vans as heavy as ours.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:48 PM   #40

Mac,

I sent an email to MB (from their website) and they said the wheels are rated at 2200#.

Now you need to weigh your van! I don't think you will have more than 2000# on any wheel.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote