Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2015, 10:08 AM   #31

Re: My solar installation project...

I've been rolling along in lots and lots of vehicles when that happened. Always makes me think twice, even though I'm in no way superstitious. Just be careful for the next mile!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:59 PM   #32

Work continues today. I hooked everything up for a dry run…

All seems to be working well…

Not much sun today though…

gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 05:31 PM   #33

I'm sort of a noob to solar myself and have been pretty impressed with how much charge I get on a cloudy day. Also, in the last month or so my 100 watt panel will put out between over 4.5 amps most of the afternoon putting my 2 AGM group 31s back up to full charge by sundown. With double the panels you should be in great shape.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:12 PM   #34

Looking good!
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:01 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
I'm sort of a noob to solar myself and have been pretty impressed with how much charge I get on a cloudy day. Also, in the last month or so my 100 watt panel will put out between over 4.5 amps most of the afternoon putting my 2 AGM group 31s back up to full charge by sundown. With double the panels you should be in great shape.

Yeah, I'm excited about this. I won't know how many amps until I get my remote meter installed, but I should easily pull 8-10 amps, if not more.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:07 PM   #36

After I confirmed everything was working properly I got started on running the wiring through the wall down to the battery bank…

Then I mounted the controller and got all the wires hooked up…

10 gauge inline 20 amp fuse installed…

Controller in place and charging the batteries!…

This remote meter is scheduled to arrive on Wednesday. Already ran the RG45 cable for it - found a cable sitting around at work, so I was able to button everything up today...

While I’m waiting for the meter to arrive, I’m going to double check for any water leaks. If there are none, I’ll put the ceiling back up and reinstall the upper cabinet. If all goes well, I’ll mount the remote meter on Thursday just in time to leave for camping on Friday morning.

The only thing I don't have yet is a remote battery temp sensor. Renogy is out of stock, but I'll order one as soon as they have them.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:31 PM   #37

Nice to be getting it all hooked up

It would be nice to have a couple of bus bars vs. the "group hug" on the battery terminals, but it looks like it would maybe not be so easy the way your battery looks to be in a single floor tub. But if you did have room...
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 11:06 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva
Nice to be getting it all hooked up

It would be nice to have a couple of bus bars vs. the "group hug" on the battery terminals, but it looks like it would maybe not be so easy the way your battery looks to be in a single floor tub. But if you did have room...
I'm running on 1997-era SMB tech. Two battery tubs wired in parallel. I'd love to re-wire the entire system. My brain can't quite handle that right now though. I've got enough on my plate just getting this up and running before Friday.

Agreed though, my primary battery box is an absolute mess!
Old 05-18-2015, 09:43 AM   #39

Fair enough. Sometimes you have to work with what you have, and it's not like you've made things worse. Interesting, my 1997 had the battery in a freestanding battery box under the gaucho (which was behind the driver's seat - RB-30-ish aisle layout). That made it easy to add a second one and do whatever to the wiring, since there was plenty of space under the gaucho. And it did need some wiring help (tho, that said, it made it just fine from 1997 to 2015 without my help). Mine was an Indiana build, BTW. Had the underfloor storage "basement" in back by the doors and then the spare on the outside of the rear door.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:07 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva
Fair enough. Sometimes you have to work with what you have, and it's not like you've made things worse. Interesting, my 1997 had the battery in a freestanding battery box under the gaucho (which was behind the driver's seat - RB-30-ish aisle layout). That made it easy to add a second one and do whatever to the wiring, since there was plenty of space under the gaucho. And it did need some wiring help (tho, that said, it made it just fine from 1997 to 2015 without my help). Mine was an Indiana build, BTW. Had the underfloor storage "basement" in back by the doors and then the spare on the outside of the rear door.
My 1998 Indiana SMB was the same way, except I had two batteries under one dinette seat, each in its own plastic box and with it's own vent to the outside (I think the second was added after the initial build). I pulled both, made my own vented box, and added a third battery to the system.

I've thought about adding the fiberglass rear "tubs" like GCVT has in order to gain back some storage area, but the though of running all new heavy gauge wires and all that keeps shutting me down.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote