Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2013, 01:02 PM   #121

Re: New SMB Owner: 93 Ford E250 2x4

You are blessed. Not only do you have a trouble free van and mad mod skills but a beautiful famiy to share it with. I hope I don't offend you when I use the words of the great Pepe Le Peu to compliment your obviously better half " Le Rrrow Rrrrow ".

stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:57 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by audisnapr
Among my many other little SMB projects, I finished this one up last night in prep for our 5day camping trip at Robert H Truman state park starting tomorrow.
Wow, that's nice- is the top from something or did you fab it up? Looks good!
Old 06-26-2013, 09:40 AM   #123

I like your table but if I may be so bold;look in my gallery at my folding table that I'm sure someone as inventive as you could improve upon greatly.Maybe in aluminium or plastic.I have since taken mine off because we never once used it but it is in mothballs just in case.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:58 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Quote:
Originally Posted by audisnapr
Among my many other little SMB projects, I finished this one up last night in prep for our 5day camping trip at Robert H Truman state park starting tomorrow.
Wow, that's nice- is the top from something or did you fab it up? Looks good!
From scratch. Poplar strips from Home Depot. A couple cans of paint, some nylon straps to tie them all together and some hardware. I'll be honest - my choice of wood put this project up around $70 which was WAY more expensive than I thought it would be, but I was committed and followed through.

I should also note, that this table rolls up (in case that isn't clear) into a approx. 6" dia. bundle.

I used these brackets to mount it to the box.
Attached Images

Old 06-27-2013, 11:00 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanw909
You are blessed. Not only do you have a trouble free van and mad mod skills but a beautiful famiy to share it with. I hope I don't offend you when I use the words of the great Pepe Le Peu to compliment your obviously better half " Le Rrrow Rrrrow ".
LOL, thanks.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:35 PM   #126

I just recently purchased a 93 E250 with the fixed Voyager top. This thread has been great as you've already done alot of the things I had in mind.

Question: How has the plasti-dip held up on your bumpers? I'm getting ready to do it but don't want to waste my time if it's not going to last long.

Thanks!

Brian
BrianBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:03 PM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBlair
I just recently purchased a 93 E250 with the fixed Voyager top. This thread has been great as you've already done alot of the things I had in mind.

Question: How has the plasti-dip held up on your bumpers? I'm getting ready to do it but don't want to waste my time if it's not going to last long.

Thanks!

Brian
Hey Brian - Congrats!

meh - the plasti dip bumper is holding up, but I'm not terribly excited how chalky the front bumper looks. Maybe it's seen one too many days of direct sun light, but it didn't hold up as well as I had thought. Both the front and rear bumpers have a few nicks in the plasti dip, so that has to be addressed at some point as well.

Good luck with the van. We love ours!
Old 10-15-2014, 08:48 PM   #128

You've got some skills man! Van is looking sweet! Great job
E277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:14 AM   #129

Posting the bikerack here to keep my build thread up to date.

Been some time since my last post - we've been enjoying the heck out of our van. However, one item that has been on my custom-to-do-list for a while now was to design and build a new bike rack solution. When I first designed the rear rack setup, I always assumed that I would put the bikes up on the roof rack... which we've done several times now and it works, but it's far from convenient. And because I planned on putting the bikes on the roof rack I didn't made concessions for the rear rack swing arm to be easily modified to accept a bike rack solution.

I didn't feel the rear box was strong enough to accommodate the bikes and with so much weight in there already I figured the tire swing-arm was the best solution. I came up with several different designs, but in the end this was the most achievable with the tools that I have.

There were a handful of criteria that drove the design:

- I wanted to be able to load the bikes by myself, quickly without much hassle. I was able to load the bikes on the roof by myself, but it was not quick and there was much hassle.
- Bikes need to be above the box/tire so that I could tow a trailer without interference. A couple times a year we take the boat and bikes camping.
- Swing arms should be operable with bikes attached.
- I wanted to work with the bike rack system that I had which forces the two arms of the design to be a specified distance apart. Retrospectively, I should have just bought a couple bike rack trays which would put the two arms closer together.

Material wise, this should have costed me three, 10ft long 1" EMT @ $7/ea. In the end I screwed up three pieces so it cost me twice as much.

Still needs paint, non-orange straps, cut the arms to length (much shorter), caps the arms, etc.

Here's the process:

Old 04-20-2015, 07:17 AM   #130

A few updated images...