Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2023, 08:38 PM   #1

Plumbing using Sharkbites?

So I have the tank picked out, the city water inlet is here and ready to install and everything that once was, except for a mangled city water inlet, is no more. Not even sure how it was routed or to where.

Obviously I am going to need to plumb this, and considering vibrations etc... I am curious, given more modern fittings and such than were offered when the van was orginally built. is PEX / Sharbite appropriate for a mobile application?

Anything in specific I should be looking for as it appears that there are several types of PEX not sure why...

dbhosttexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 06:42 AM   #2

I used a shark bite style cap recently for a project in my van. Every plumbing joint in my van is made using PEX tubing and the typical crimped-on clamping rings, probably just like yours. I guess the use of clamping rings is due simply to their low cost, nothing else. The tradeoff is if any maintenance or changes need to be made, the entire length of tubing and the ring are destroyed. The press-on shark bite connectors you are describing which can be removed if needed and reused make more sense.

Side rant.. like the rings, friction-welded polyethene tank fittings are another poor one-way construction technique. I had a break at a friction-welded grey water tank fitting - what a nightmare trying to get that sealed back up and working again!
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 07:11 AM   #3

Garage
If you haven’t already, I’d suggest some drain valves at the lower points of your plumbing design so you have an easy way to drain your lines, especially if you plan on cold weather exposure. I have 4 drains I don’t use often but came in real handy (and convenient) on a trip that unexpectedly presented sub freezing temp’s.
Your design may have plans for all the lines to be inside, but you can still add drains at the lower points which would allow you purge water using an additional hose that attaches & reaches outside the van.

Have you considered adding a 4” or 6” Boat deck plate to the top of your tank so you have easy access to the inside? Couple threads available on this.
https://www.amazon.com/Beckson-Marin...yABEgK2d_D_BwE

I had an exterior hot/cold shower attachment installed a short while back, used sharkbites on all of it.
Old 12-30-2023, 07:55 AM   #4

Pex B (the type most readily available at Home Depot/Lowes) is perfectly fine. I've plumbed many vans with it with the Apollo/Aquapex and Sharkbite hardware using the cinch rings and my $25 clamp tool. I've never had a leak. You can even swivel your fittings after crimping to get your system laid out how you want and still I've never had a leak.

Looks like the tool has gone up, like everything else:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Apollo-3...1096/202640984
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 01:28 PM   #5

I've been using these guys for my recent van plumbing adventures. If they have a component you need I recommend using them. They will even talk to you on the phone!

https://www.freshwatersystems.com/
2019 Yeti SB130 Turq Race X01
Steve Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 12:14 PM   #6

I prefer Pex B and crimp rings to sharkbite. Cheap and easy. The rings can be cut off and the piece taken apart, though not as easy as the sharkbite. I rarely have to take anything apart, if it was I would probably use a threaded connection.

My toy hauler was built with sharkbite and works fine. If they had used crimp rings they would have saved 90% of the cost, but it may have taken a few minutes longer.
kbeefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 12:37 PM   #7

I was figuring on sharkbites as I don't have the ring tool, and once you add up fittings, rings, and ring tool, considering how few actual fittings I anticipate for ths system, I didn't think it was worth it. May reconsider.

Was planning on PEX B yes, cheap and easy to work with. My problem is everyone sells it in WAY longer length bulks than I need. I guess I will hang on to it for the next friend nuts enough to want to replumb a camper van...

As far as cutting an access panel, nope. The tank I am shooting for fits between frame rail and the step box for the sliding door, and has about 6" room at the end between the body support outriggers. 20 gallons capacity. Was planning on since the tank is the lowest point in the system putting the dump valve at the lower port on the tank. My only access issue would be should I want to replicate Sportsmobiles gravity fill design, no clue how I could accomplish that... The fill line will obviously be exposed as will the lines to / from the tank, and the tank itself. Was thinking thermal tape there. I want to be able to use my water system down to about 20 deg if possible, dump if needed and revert to AquaTainers for temporay usage. However that would be a rare occasion as I am southern...

At this point I literally have for the onboard system, only the city water hookup, and the 3GPPM Seaflow water pump. I will be doing a GHT threaded ball valve to the exterior to hook up my Joolca Hottap as I plan on having hot water / doing 99% of my water needing things outside of the camper.
dbhosttexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 12:46 PM   #8

Hardware store sells short chunks, like 5'.

The cost of 2 or 3 sharkbites would cover the cost of the crimping tool. Then you can use all the cheaper bits. I bought bags of fittings and rings off Amazon alot cheaper than the hardware store. You could probably find an assortment that has more than you need all together.
Old 12-31-2023, 01:30 PM   #9

Hoping to clear up some confusion here. I used to call Sharkbite's just what I think @kbeefy is describing above. These were somewhat of a general term for the 'no-tool' push together plumbing fittings. This has changed, at least in my part of the world. Sharkbite now sells PEX crimp fittings and supplies as well as the toolless push- in type at Home Depot stores, among other places I'm sure.

When I said 'Sharkbite' I meant the modern ones, which are just PEX crimp fittings. I have never used the toolless push together fittings in an RV and wouldn't trust them due to vibration.

Here's an example of the packaging Home Depot sells nowadays:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16619952850...gaAj-qEALw_wcB

@dbhosttexas, do you have Lowe's where you live? They sell PexB in red, blue and white in any length from 4' sections up to long rolls. I typically buy it in what I think are 10' sections.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 01:53 PM   #10

Yes. By sharkbite I was referring to the push to connect type fittings, not necessarily the brand.