I am Living in germany and currently driving a FJ cruiser. You find it here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14064
Since i met "schluchtenflitzer" who is active in this forum and Owns probably the only 4x4 SMB in europe i somehow decided that i want to be the 2nd one. They are just great.
Unfortunately I can not buy a new one. And tax and toll and transformation of the van to meet the requirements of German Traffic Law ad about 30 % (!) to the Price I have to pay in the US - plus shipping!
My question to you is what you think is the best way to get to the result i want.
What I want is a E250 or E350 SMB (or SMB like) with:
- 5.4 V8 gas or 7.3 diesel. I do not trust the 6.0 (do not want to offend anyone but it is hard to find a specialist in germany if it makes problems). And the V10 is just too expensive to drive paying about 10$ per gallon here.
- Not too many Miles (gas under 100000, diesel below 150000)
- a good and tough 4x4 sytem. (What I read i like ujoint and agile - Even if they seem quite different) with rear locker if possible. About 4-6 " Lift. 35" tires.
- roof rack, aluminess bumpers, winch (all this just if affordable) and an additional or Larger tank
- a regular Body size van, a penthouse top
- a camper van conversion, sleeping min. 3, with kitchen, stove, sink, furnace, enough room to put in things, water and greywater tank, 2 battery system.
At the Moment I think the best and "cheapest" way to get Most of this is to find a Used 2 WD sportsmobile and have it converted to 4x4. I got already in contact with Chris.
But there are 3 other options:
Find a preowned 4x4 sportsmobile that meets most of my expectations. (Difficult - Even more from germany)
Buy a 4x4 Ford van (for example quigley), let it improve by Chris or Ramsey, and have a Penthouse Top installed and the van converted in a camper by CCV or GTRV or??
Buy a 2 WD E350 cargo van and have it converted in 4x4 and in a camper.
This is where I Need You and all your knowledge. I just inform myself since some weeks in the Internet. You have all the Information an Live with These wonderful rigs.
What do you think is the way to go?
What will be the cheapest (if not necessary best) way?
What will be easierst for me to organize from germany?
With time i have no Pressure. If the van is here in 1 year it is fine.
Please excuse my english. It is my school english from 23 years ago. And the auto correction on my iPad sucks. It causes all those capital letters.
I am happy about every advice you can give me. It is not an easy project.