Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2012, 05:32 PM   #21

Re: Re-finishing the PH Top (Raptor Liner)

Here are two quick pics of the finished DIY project. I think the black on silver really shrinks the overall size of the SMB.

canyonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:36 PM   #22

"I think the black on silver really shrinks the overall size of the SMB."
I agree, almost looks tiny! But then, a camera always puts on a few pounds...
bratworst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:42 PM   #23

So that's the problem, I need to get rid of the dark hair to look taller. Why hadn't I thought of that earlier?
Old 01-24-2012, 08:42 PM   #24

FYI- You can buy pre-tinted black or a tintable version that you add some tint with no binding agent and it will match any color. I've tinted it green to match my PH on the 05 SMB and did some 5 gal. jerry cans in yellow. I've even used it as a base for my school's rock climbing wall we built. Easy clean up as the spray gun is so cheap, you could consider it disposable at $15 (I have cleaned it out and used it again).
bridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:35 PM   #25

This is on my to do list. Great write up. How do I get the liner color to match the PH top's color?
Thanks in advance.
mtnrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:45 AM   #26

Great info. If anyone is buying this online post the sources. Main thing is to find tint for white and can it be found online?
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:58 AM   #27

I bought the Raptor Liner from Amazon. Easy to find with a search for Raptor Liner. As "bridges" stated you can choose black or "tintable". Here is the Amazon item I used.

http://www.amazon.com/U-POL-0820V-GUN-B ... sim_auto_1

As you can see, it ships from TCP Gobal Corp. This was the best price I found when looking in the past.

Again, I went with the black so I didn't have to worry about a perfect match or problems with different fade rates over time. Just my thoughts. Others may have had good luck with tints but as I said earlier, I like the look of the black.

When I did look into the tintable product I priced the clear Raptor Liner and went to a local automotive parts/paint store and they quoted me the exact Ford color I needed and then you just add that to the bottle and shake and spray.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:37 PM   #28

Did some research and it looks like you just buy 1 quart of automotive paint to tint it with (get the tintable stuff). So I can go down to the local auto store and get the exact Ford color match to my white van and tint it with that. White turns out good apparently as I found someone who did it to their Toyota.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/paint-body/3...-review-2.html

Going to make this my summer project on the van.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:34 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonrover
As you can see, it ships from TCP Gobal Corp. This was the best price I found when looking in the past.
I just order some SEM Rock It spray on tintable liner from the same place via Amazon. It's not for my SMB but my Comanche camper shell which I just paneled the outside with wood. It's literature specifically listed wood as a compatible material to spray and I want 100% waterproofing for my kayak hauling. Rock It requires 3 oz of tinted "base" automotive paint w/o binders and reducers per liter. I stopped by NAPA with my recent MAACO Medium Grey Metallic formula and they are willing to mix me 3/4 of a pint (12 oz) and even prorate the price in a close non metallic color. Funny about TCP Global they ship from Miramar Road Sand Diego just 5 miles from my house and it cost me $12.50. I could have driven the diesel pig there and back for maybe just 1/2 that and it would be on the way to Harbor Freight too. Anyway I look forward to using this stuff and finishing that project. I might spray my SMB hoop steps while I got it set up.
Pat
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:47 PM   #30

My experience with Line-X of El Cajon is 100% positive. They did my PH, roof & gutters and ladder kick panel perfectly color matched to Baja Tan. They also did the ladder itself in black and no more slipping with wet water shoes. This must have been 1.5 years ago and it has solved all of my penthouse cracking and leaking and gutter rust issues. More pictures in my gallery.

2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote