Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-03-2023, 12:20 PM   #1

Redheads are a problem

A couple of years ago I purchased a redhead steering box, and after installing it I immediately discovered it refused to return to center. A call to their shop advised me that apparently it wasn’t adjusted correctly at assembly and to loosen the adjustment, despite several written warnings stating that any adjustment voids the warranty. After several calls back-and-forth and additional adjustments, they agreed to send me a replacement. That replacement didn’t get installed right away, but I finally decided to install it after getting tired of having to make adjustments several times to the original box. I proceeded to install a new power steering pump, new hoses, and the new box. After installing the parts, and following the enclosed bleeding procedures repeatedly, I discovered that there is zero assist with the box. With the drag link connected and the engine idling it’s impossible to turn the wheels. Another phone call to them resulted in there saying that it’s got to be the power steering pump, so I borrowed a Power steering pressure test kit from O’Reilly auto parts, and discovered that the pump puts out 400 psi at idle and it raises to 1100 or so psi when you close the service valve. I then relayed this information to redhead at which point they said there has to be a problem with the box, but since it’s out of warranty, (despite having never been taken out of the original shipping box since I received it ) we can sell you another one for an additional $500 or you can send it in for a repair, you pay shipping both ways and can expect a turnaround of 1 to 2 weeks. Sadly, I had intended to depart for a trip to Alaska this weekend, but obviously that’s not happening and I’ll have to postpone my trip until the fall. it amazes me that I have received two defective boxes in a row, and was told on the original one that they had had some quality control problems in the past, but they were no longer an issue. Well, apparently they still have major quality control problems. At this point, my review of redhead gives them zero stars.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote