Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-24-2021, 11:54 AM   #25

I used to have a pair of tall (5.5", possibly made by Prothane?.. they were yellow) foam bumpstops that looked exactly like the polyurethane ones from Energy Suspension/Daystar/etc, that worked very well... until one tore from its mount. It really felt like the foam type absorbed impacts better and did not rebound as hard as the poly's, either being a HUGE improvement over rubber. I can't even find the ones I had available for purchase anymore, but the Sumo Stops look like a heavier version (since there's no reliefs cut out of them) of the same material.

I like the idea of the Sumo stops, but for me, the reality is that for $100 more, I could buy a pair of Fox 2.0 hydraulic bump stops that would work drastically better at the same job. Obviously, that only makes sense if your use justifies the time/cost of them. I can't recall ever bottoming out the rear of my own van, even when catching a little air, or hauling 3000lbs of rock inside (not driving offroad with that load!), but the front end makes frequent use of the poly bumpstops and I could actually see a benefit to the use of "hydro" bumps up there... still cheaper than the cost of switching to a more appropriately sized 2.5" shock, and addresses the primary concern (bottoming) better.

At roughly the same cost as the Sumo Stops, Daystar makes an adjustable foam bumpstop called the "Stinger" that mimmicks a hydraulic bumpstop and can be adjusted in length and stiffness by adding/removing different foam pucks inside. They mount using the same size cans as a Fox 2.0", so it would be an easy bolt on affair to switch them out at a later date... but the better value would be going straight to a Fox or the like.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote