Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2016, 08:26 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
apparently I cant edit my last response so as not to bump an outdated thread....dumb.

after talking with john at agile, this project was never completed and the specifics never passed on to him before ramseys passing. they don't do enough work on quigleys to justify the time for a project of this nature due to how many different quigley setups there are out there, so it will not be an option for us quigley owners

rip ramsey. we will never know how many cool ideas you had cooking up in your head for us van owners...
I know! I've always been in awe of such gifted and talented individuals that make the world better for the rest of us

Shenrie I assume you've gotten your parts list from Quigley...?

Old 11-02-2016, 08:42 AM   #42

Garage
oh ya, got my list from them within a week of ownership. however their parts list is just that. theirs. none of the part numbers cross reference to anything in the outside world. they are helpful on the phone though. even though ive only talked with ladies when calling they were both very knowledgeable about these vans.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 08:56 AM   #43

Oh well that's good. I always appreciate a company with a high standard on customer interface.

Never underestimate a woman in the mechanical world! Definitely NOT me, but turns out my hair stylist has extensive 4x4 knowledge. She is a stich and my 'tiny' tires really bug her so I told her to pipe down or I will park HellBetty right in front of the salon's plate glass window at my next visit. At least I can keep up a debate with her to some extent now (thanks to this forum) but I let her 'win' because she is cutting my hair after all.

Also a woman at O'Reillys yesterday was training an older employee there. Turns out he has an Excursion with a V10 that he is rebuilding ground up. Fun stuff! I could only aspire to have such smarts!
Old 11-02-2016, 09:12 AM   #44

Garage
i never underestimate any woman ever. ive been put in my place enough to know better. women listen better in general. when I was helping instruct autox years ago. the girls took instruction and improved each try. the guys not so much, lol.

ive got extensive knowledge about the cars we play with, but with vans, im right there with you. taking buttloads of info from the generous folks on this forum and just running with it
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 10:39 AM   #45

Garage
Girls are also much easier to coach in hockey and probably sports in general because they actually pay attention. Boys are too busy thinking about how they are going to impress the girls...

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 10:41 AM   #46

Garage
Oh but the whole reason I was on this page in the first place - I wonder if there is a way to put the larger brakes from a 13+ F250 axle on the older 05+ axles. I haven't looked at a Quigley close enough to see what the differences are, just brainstorming.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 10:57 AM   #47

Shenrie: ...assuming that you are familiar with my brake upgrade on my kingpin Dana 60? I also know squat about 4X4 stuff but never too old to figure stuff out, and Ramsey was very helpful when i was contemplating the design/rework.

There are two basic things to do; one is relatively easy the other a bit more difficult.

1. Drill the F series rotors for 8 x6.5" lug pattern (Ramsey had success drilling the 8 x 170mm rotor holes oversize until they fit on 8 x 6.5" pattern) I have a mill and rotary table so drilling new holes wasn't too bad just had to buy giant drill bits

2. Design and fabricate new caliper stands/mounting brackets

Since your van is Pre-2008, you also need to think about what calipers make sense. My van had Chevy (WTF??) calipers on it from Advanced......I replaced them with the 2008+ calipers that the van originally came with. These calipers are low profile and fit between the rotors and wheels nicely. You could also just use whatever calipers go with the rotors that you want to use and design caliper stands around those.

In your case, it's highly likely that your calipers bolt to cast bosses in the outer knuckles, so you basically be designing and fabricating a caliper adapter. Obviously, you need to get the caliper at the correct radial spacing for larger rotors and also get the axial (in-out) location correct.

The two obvious rotor choices are F-250/350 series (about 13.5" dia IIRC) and if you have at least 17" wheels, F-450 rotors (14.5" dia)
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote