Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2009, 12:46 PM   #11

Re: Upgrade from Ford Factory Stereo; Speaker Location?

Wow I'm jealous. Good description. At $2,000 I think you can call yourself an audiophile now. That sounds like an amazing system you installed. Although it pains me just reading about the wiring you did. I hate running wire, nothing fun about it but worth it.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:07 PM   #12

Garage

I just installed a Kenwood DNX7140 in my 2006 E-350 following Yubariver's instructions. Thought I would post some picture's to make it easier for the next person.

Tool required to remove stock radio. Amazon http://amzn.com/B0007TC9LW

In order to fit a double din stereo you will need to file down the top and bottom plastic lips. I used a dremel tool with a sand paper wheel. It should be completely flush when finished.

If you are installing a rear view camera and would like it to turn on automatically when you put the van in reverse splice into the positive wire that connects to the reverse bulb. The wiring harness is located on the driver side below the parking brake. The wire is black with a purple stripe.

A convenient place to put the GPS antenna. No drilling required.

Amazon sells a wiring harness adapter so you won't need to cut off the stock plug. http://amzn.com/B0007KK24M

To help secure the stereo I removed the rear support bracket from the stock stereo and attached it to the Kenwood unit. Helps keep everything secure on bouncy roads.

Handsfree microphone placement. Works great!

This device will bypass the lockout mechanism which prevents you from controlling certain functions while driving. http://amzn.com/B004803H2Q

Looks and sounds great!

Old 01-22-2011, 07:17 PM   #13
Site Team

Great write-up with pics.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:50 PM   #14

Great write up, but how does the passenger do Karaoke, or is only the driver allowed?
Old 01-23-2011, 04:27 PM   #15

Garage

Quote:
but how does the passenger do Karaoke
On my lap of course, is there another way?
Old 06-01-2011, 05:17 PM   #16

Location: Rolling Hills, Mammoth Mountain, Coeur d Alene Idaho

Quite happy with this all Pioneer setup.The XLT came with 6 speakers which were all replaced of course. Not sure of the power but the little amp fits nicely under the front passenger seat. Maybe not the cleanest possible 8" subwoofer box but it provides clean ample bass and I've never had a complaint to make it louder always the reverse. The back up camera is in the license plate and doesn't work to hitch up the trailer if I redo it I'll look into a better location for it. There is also a overhead DVD screen with wireless headphones and it is fantastic for those times when some want a movie some want music. Looking at the pics my poor van still needs a good vacuum after Coachella which should be on everyone's bucket list for sure!

Old 10-02-2011, 02:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapatio
I just installed a Kenwood DNX7140 in my 2006 E-350 following Yubariver's instructions. Thought I would post some picture's to make it easier for the next person.

Did you use the following dash install kit? (mentioned earlier in thread)

Quote:
Head-Unit Dash Adapter (for fitting a Double-DIN head-unit into the 2006 Ford CORPORATE Double-DIN dash opening ….The ford opening is shorter and wider than standard): American International FM-K552, Amazon $13
The reviews say they are not worth the trouble, but your head unit does seem to have a little piece of trim around it? Came with it or.....?

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:37 PM   #18

Garage

Anzac - This is the double din dash kit I used. One warning, I don't think you can remove the stereo without removing the dash once it is installed. The side mounts have one-way clips that secure the stereo to the dash. There is a warning that comes with the instructions that is conveniently left out of the product description on Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009JSDYC
Old 10-17-2011, 06:15 PM   #19

Anzac, Tapatio,
You can remove the stereo with the double-din kit once installed, it's just not very fun. I was able to do it by working my hand and a very short phillips screwdriver up beside the unit, and removing the short flathead bolts that hold the plastic side-clips onto the unit itself. Once those are unscrewed, apply wiggling, jiggling, almost too-much force, swearing, leverage from a screwdriver, etc. and it should eventually come-out.
Yubariver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:33 AM   #20

I noticed AI lists two wiring connectors for the 2002 van:
http://www.aius.net/proddetails2.asp?ID=162
http://www.aius.net/proddetails2.asp?ID=163

One is a white connector, the other is black.

Do you need both, or just one?

I haven't taken my stock head unit out yet. I just assumed it was one connector with power+speaker connectors.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote