Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2009, 11:22 AM   #331

Re: What work did you do on your SMB today?

Mike ,
Thank you for this explanation , I did this very same thing last weekend on a dirt back road out of Bishop and couldn't for the life of me figure out where the Grape sized rock came from . Thankfully it hit the passenger side Wiper Blade and prevented another cracked windshield .
Greggde

Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:50 AM   #332

Yeah, I've chipped several windshields with my own rocks. Not uncommon at all. I've even tossed a rock thru my radiator. That's the main reason I have a billit grill. Radiators and A/C are expensive and a repair hassle on the road.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:10 PM   #333

I moved my body mounted awning brackets. When they were mounted on the angled parts of the body, closing the awning would try to pull the bracket bottom away from the body. Also, a little higher means the awning can go out a little more before I run out of leg length.

I put some threaded rivets and screws into the old holes. I still need to do some more cleanup.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:06 PM   #334
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco_hauler
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggde
NRL ,
What are the dimensions and model number for this unit and where did you purchase it ?
Greggde
Its the NanoMax... I can't believe HDepot had it. I saw it on display with al the other Portable ACs.
It was one of the thinest one I've seen.
Someday I'm going take one apart and see if I can re-fit it somewhere..
http://www.amcorgroupusa.com/aircon.html
So you run this off your inverter when you have the engine running?

Herb
I can or just batteries for 1.25 hrs
Actually I've ran it all summer 24 hrs a day when docked home to keep the temps of the inside down....
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:57 PM   #335

Well, these things weren't done today but a couple of weeks ago before a two-week trip to the Aspen, CO area for some fly fishing. But they both worked out well.

First, I replaced the original inside SMB fan with Caframo 747 fan after Charlie suggested it:

This fan was actually designed for marine uses. No housing is needed since you can put your finger into the whirling fan without a problem. It is quiet and uses very little power. We often left it on when we left our Bengal cat in the van while fishing (we checked on him continually).

When Charlie purchased his fan, they had a suction-cup model and a hard-mount model. Now, both options are built into a single product. (It may look like the hard-mount option fan can be rotated in only the vertical direction but the fan can also be rotated around the mounting stem via a spring-loaded arrangement.) Here is the manufacturer's website:

http://www.caframo.com/marine/marine_pr ... ate747.php

This fan should be around $40. While I purchased our fan from a local marine/yacht builder, I have seen websites selling them for $129! Be careful!

(I covered the factory holes in the storage shelf with a piece of stainless steel from the hardware store which gives us a place to store a Maglite with a magnetic holder.)

Another project:
We have a wireless thermometer with two remote sensors. The primary remote sensory is in the refrigerator and the other monitors outside temperatures. Our display unit is mounted high on the storage shelf above the side window on the driver's side (just to the right of the fan) since we have another outside thermometer built into our rear-view mirror and don't need to check temperatures while driving....this sensor is accessed only to check outside temperatures while camping.

The outside sensor for this monitor was originally positioned under the hood above one of the headlights but it picked up engine temperatures too often and occasionally failed to send data to the monitor, probably due to the mass of metal between it and the receiver. I therefore moved it to a position inside the outside shower connections:

With the monitor where we have it, this worked very well. It is protected from the weather and is close enough to the monitor to provide reliable measurements.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:40 PM   #336

What did you do

Finished steam cleaning the undercarriage and touched up everything with Black Satin Krylon Paint , Rotated new TOYO's for the first time , Waxed all of my Door jamb's and Conditioned all of my Door and Window Mouldings .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:01 AM   #337

It was past time for my diesel fuel filter change and I just didn’t feel comfortable changing the one under the hood so I took it to the local Ford dealer. An hour and half later I was out $220. Ouch. Next time I do it.

Also my black trim, running boards, bumpers, flares, etc) were turning a little gray. I bought a product called Back to Black (by Mothers) at Autozone. It worked great!
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:23 AM   #338

Re: What did you do to your SMB today?

Serviced my solar panel.

- Notched the aluminum extrusion to allow water to drain. Small (1/2" notches) in 2 corners.

- Cleaned it. And it needed a good cleaning.

- Rain-X. To help keep it clean.

- Checked all the bolts for tightness

All is ok.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:39 PM   #339
Site Team

Finally got around to replacing my penthouse mounted Hella worklights.

Hellas vs. house roof edge? You decide. One glass lens broken, two metal brackets very bent, very minor fiberglass crack, some painting needed on my house roof trim.

Herb
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01471.JPG   DSC01472.JPG   DSC01474.JPG   DSC01473.JPG  
Old 10-04-2009, 06:43 AM   #340

Doh! As a member of the "driving into the garage with a bike on the roof club", I feel your pain!
saline is offline   Reply With Quote