Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2011, 11:17 AM   #11

Re: Where to install Transmission Filter?

I installed ours on the transmission support cross-member, between the transmission and the exhaust. It is near the exhaust, but does not seem to get heated up by the exhaust pipe much (as tested by an IR thermometer), so I stopped worrying about it. I did consider a heat shield, but it seemed pointless after the measurements.

That said, I do not think that a few feet extra of hose would be significant flow restriction compared to the numerous feet already there + transmission cooler + a filter.

There is a drain on the far-side of the filter so that when changing, I can empty the filter before unscrewing it.

-e

Old 05-25-2011, 11:40 AM   #12

Erik,

I had originally made a spacer plate which would allow the unit to mount upright to the internal side of the frame. Never thought using my IR thermometer to check since I would expect the pipe to be in the 450 degree range at that point downstream. How far from the exhaust pipe have you placed the filter? Does it ever get rubbed by the sway from the tail pipe, if that even occurs?

Another question I have is the OEM pipe from the cooler to the transmission is nonflexible metal pipe. When you set up the system, did you have to fix that pipe to the frame as well to prevent rattling?

I appreciate a new perspective.
Ketcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:27 PM   #13

The filter is about 3/4" from the exhaust at the nearest place, but most of it is much further (two cylinders orthogonal to each other). The exhaust does not have nearly enough freedom up by the end of the down-pipe to move that far once all the bolts are tightened up. I didn't measure the exhaust temp, but rather the temp on the filter nearest the exhaust and opposite after a pull up a few mile hill. No notable difference.

The metal tube, returning transmission fluid from the cooler/bypass filter, I bent (very carefully) with a tube bender to point nearly straight down, this is screwed directly into a T that feeds the filter header (the other end being the drain-valve), thus locating the tube and removing the need for one of the provided hoses. This also is the reason you see a couple white spacers under the filter header, as they get everything in the right place for no tension/stress/abrasion on the tubes. I'll see if I can get a picture up of the other side of the filter mounting in a bit.

-e
Old 05-31-2011, 11:36 PM   #14

Erik,

I would love those pictures. I have over time followed your recommendations regarding tools and parts. It saved our weekend adventure on two fronts. I just need a safe place to store the phone book sized double volume repair manual. Your efforts are appreciated.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:32 AM   #15

Been a bit wet and nasty outside this weekend, but dried up so I got a pic this morning.

This is the view of the transmission filter from the front looking (slightly) back. The line going into the T block previously would turn 90deg and mount to the inlet port on the transmission. It is now bent down about 75deg from where it use to be, allowing clearance to the other lines, and to reach the T which feeds the filter. The drain valve allows me to drain the filter before removing it. Use to have a cap on there, but apparently it fell off and needs replacing (don't really want dirt getting in there as it could bugger up the valve seal when it is actuated).

-e
Attached Thumbnails
TrnFilterFrnt.jpg  
Old 06-01-2011, 09:40 PM   #16

Erik. That helps. Thank you.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:07 PM   #17

I finally got around to finishing this project. I went with two 5' custom hoses. It comes in 6' increments and I ordered two 6' and it came as a 12' hose. The fitting are easy to install on the ends. You can get strait, 45 or 90 degree. I ordered some extra ends not knowing how the hoses will mount and what angles would be ideal. Pictures are shown blow, for those who require custom hoses these work well.

I have two standard hoses from the diesel site I will give anyone interested. Bob I am sure will sell just the filter plus housing and the pressure guage normally sold separately. Given the cost of the hoses you would likely save 50%, if interested in taking on this project. Email me if you want the standard 3' hoses.

http://www.youblisher.com/p/3647-Eaton- ... e-Catalog/ Pages 16 and 17

FBC0800 / FCC0806 - 6 Ft. Length
FCM1139 / FBM1139 - Fits Hose Size -08 (Fitting Size -08)
FCM1145 / FBM1145 - Fits Hose Size -08 (Fitting Size -08)

http://www.aeroquip.cc/fbc0800fcc0806-6ftlength.aspx

I routed the hoses away from the exhaust pipe, incase I go with a larger exhaust system in the future. Also just brought the return rigid hose from the cooler down and the brass fitting rests against the transmission nicely.

Note the routing of the hose over the transmission and secured to to body.

The filter is mounted on the driver's side, in front of both the cooler filter behind the 4D battery and the Amsoil Filter system. I took off the L bracket, drilled a rear hole 1.5" behind the other to set back the unit due to a frame obstruction. The original rear hole became the front hole. In order to allow the pressure guage to fit uner the now overlying L bracket, I had to remount the filter to the L bracket using two 1/2" spacers, one for each screw and a 1.5" replacement screw. That lowered the filter 1/2".

Also note on these filters, when you take the unit off the L bracket there are metal arrows on top indicating direction of flow. There is a bypass valve inside the filter should the filter fail. If the flow is set the opposite direction, the bypass filter will not release under high pressure and no oil returns to the transmission. That would be rather unfortunate. You can see and push on the internal filter valve to test the direction of flow. Flow is from the cooler to the filter and filter 'out' to the transmission 'in'.

All filters are on one side of the van.