Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2015, 04:08 PM   #201

Garage
Re: Z's Fiamma Awning Brackets

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetubi
What did You pay for the VS brackets lately (shipping included)?
On 11/18/14 I paid $187.65 Shipped from Van Specialties.
When I contacted them with a few fitment and installation issues, they told me to cut off the bend at the top and just bolt them to the aluminum brackets that come with the awning to get the awning to the correct height. That is how they install them. In other words the top of the front and rear brackets look like the top of the middle bracket. Then using a straight edge to align the tops of the brackets that are bolted to the brackets to get a straight line and therefore good purchase in the top groove of the awning. I ended up having to put the two rear brackets closer together than just about anyone else I have seen so that all the brackets are in the same plane while the front and rear have the same height.

2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
skyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 01:16 AM   #202

Hm. Pehaps it has to be this way and my technical understanding is limited.

But I do not Understand why so much work and effort is still needed with parts specially designed and built for our vans!? Considering the Price ....
'10 Lada Niva
'04 Nissan 350Z
'67 Alfa Romeo Giulia
chetubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:03 AM   #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetubi
Hm. Pehaps it has to be this way and my technical understanding is limited.

But I do not Understand why so much work and effort is still needed with parts specially designed and built for our vans!? Considering the Price ....
I agree. Your technical understanding is NOT limited. In America, we tend to prefer to do things backwards. Let's take, for example, every other interesting team sport vs. American football. WTF?
Every good kind of motorcycle and car racing vs. NASCAR. WTF?
Practical diesel powered wagons and utility vehicles vs. gas guzzling shiny oversized SUVs. WTF?
Large white boxes with multiple slides and big screen TVs vs. campers that actually promote OUTDOORS. WTF?
And, of course, the interesting phenomenon here that all of our malls and WalMarts and fast food establishments are full of Americans too fat to walk, but our National Parks and scenic areas are often deserted, except for foreigners.

OK, perhaps I have gotten off on a little rant and somewhat changed the subject, but I too think that these brackets are completely and totally grossly overpriced. But, they are rare. This forum alone probably comprises nearly half of the camper van enthusiasts in this country.

I'm going camping. I need an attitude adjustment.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:38 AM   #204

Thx for explaining.

Need to go comping too. But it is mid Winter here. And my SMB is still in oregon.
'10 Lada Niva
'04 Nissan 350Z
'67 Alfa Romeo Giulia
chetubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:19 AM   #205

Garage

So, I found out why there is so many issues with the VS brackets. They are not plug and play. The design is not like the originals. The only thing that is close is the gutter bolt. For the price they charge you get a product that should be reworked.
pinz712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 07:56 AM   #206
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

I'm bummed to hear that the VS brackets are giving people so many fitment issues, as they were on my list of things to order along with the CVT awning in the spring, will have to reconsider.
86Scotty-I'd have to scroll through your post on your install, but did you have the same fitment issues with the VS brackets, I thought you just had to trim the tops of them down?
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:49 AM   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF
I'm bummed to hear that the VS brackets are giving people so many fitment issues, as they were on my list of things to order along with the CVT awning in the spring, will have to reconsider.
86Scotty-I'd have to scroll through your post on your install, but did you have the same fitment issues with the VS brackets, I thought you just had to trim the tops of them down?
I had no fitment issues at all, but I used a smaller (not as tall) CVT awning instead of the more common Fiamma. I'm not sure what Pinz is talking about but as far as I know the brackets are the exact same, you just have to mount them in the correct order and take some time to line them up properly. It helps to have a helper. My brackets are a good bit taller than my awning as stated above and I have not bothered to trim them down. It's only an inch or so and doesn't bother me. I can snap a better pic for anyone interested. The only problem I have is that the penthouse gasket snags on the nut and exposed bolt end on the back. I trimmed my bolts down, but reversing those bolts with some rounded hex heads is really the way to go. The problem most people will have, but can't see beforehand, is that the Ford roof is curved and you're trying to put a straight awning on it. If you do some homebuilding you'll quickly find out that every single line on a damn Ford van is curved, even though most look straight. There's not a straight, level line anywhere on one of these vans, either vertical or horizontal, in or out.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:37 AM   #208
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Great, thanks for that. Back on the list.....
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:23 PM   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
Quote:
Originally Posted by REF
I had no fitment issues at all, but I used a smaller (not as tall) CVT awning instead of the more common Fiamma. I'm not sure what Pinz is talking about but as far as I know the brackets are the exact same, you just have to mount them in the correct order and take some time to line them up properly. It helps to have a helper. My brackets are a good bit taller than my awning as stated above and I have not bothered to trim them down. It's only an inch or so and doesn't bother me. I can snap a better pic for anyone interested. The only problem I have is that the penthouse gasket snags on the nut and exposed bolt end on the back. I trimmed my bolts down, but reversing those bolts with some rounded hex heads is really the way to go. The problem most people will have, but can't see beforehand, is that the Ford roof is curved and you're trying to put a straight awning on it. If you do some homebuilding you'll quickly find out that every single line on a damn Ford van is curved, even though most look straight. There's not a straight, level line anywhere on one of these vans, either vertical or horizontal, in or out.

Really, now you're saying this...we're now experts too. Our gasket is snagging the middle mount, we've been considering reversing the bolts.

-John
Old 02-04-2015, 07:42 AM   #210

Wanted to also add...

We started with mounting the brackets and holding the ARB awning up to them. We knew the van roof sloped to the rear, that was fun to sort out when cutting in the larger windows. Ultimately we decided to mount the awning to the middle bracket first then mark the front and rear to place the holes as precisely as we could. We did stop to use online photos as references, the awnings almost all appear to sag. Knowing how ridged the back plate of the awning is it was obvious that it's an optical illusion.

We will be reversing the bracket mounting bolts and have some shorter (M6x16mm) stainless awning mounting bolts on the way (M6X12mm are too short). 1/4" will not fit in the track. No one carries a large selection of mm hardware here so we had to order more than we need. Once we re-bolt everything we'll report back.

We also have a second set of the Van Specialties mounts, we originally planned to make a custom paddle holder for the driver's side. That may not happen so we may have a set for sale in the future. If we put off the decision for too long then we'll have a set for sale at Expo West.

-John