Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2015, 10:12 PM   #11

Re: 120v AC from a car alternator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelchef67
Upon further investigation I concur. Even though it(charge wizard controller) seems to be functional with the engine running it can't be. My charging it appears is controlled by a Surepower 1202-120Amp electronic battery isolator.
No idea of the charging profile of that unit.
As far as I know things like the Surepower are basically just relays that combine the start and house batteries when they sense a certain voltage or etc. But I don't know of any (at least of the common ones) that regulate the charging voltage in any way. They just don't let you run down the start battery when camping (because they de-combine the two banks), and do allow you to charge the house bank when driving (because they combine). So it's just whatever voltage the alternator is putting out, I'm pretty sure.

Since I have enough solar power to keep my house batteries up most of the time (and since the solar charger is set to the correct voltages for my house bank), I don't combine the batteries when driving unless I'm below around 85% charge on the house bank. Just cause.... why subject them to "stupid charging" if I don't need to.

Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:07 PM   #12

As far as I know things like the Surepower are basically just relays that combine the start and house batteries when they sense a certain voltage or etc. But I don't know of any (at least of the common ones) that regulate the charging voltage in any way. They just don't let you run down the start battery when camping (because they de-combine the two banks), and do allow you to charge the house bank when driving (because they combine). So it's just whatever voltage the alternator is putting out, I'm pretty sure.

You are correct........
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller

You are correct........
The Surepower 1202- is a diode based isolator, so the charge profile would be the alternator output minus the drop across the diode. that could be up to .5 volts.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 10:38 AM   #14

Hmmm... So the Auragen and the MEPS both separate the alternator from the transformer. I have never really looked at a schematic for, say, a Honda generator. But a Honda generator with an engine is about as compact as an Auragen alternator and transformer without an engine. Could the alternator of a broken engined Honda generator be mounted in the top position of a two alternator position diesel to be driven by the vehicle engine?

For us diesel guys the concept of carrying more than one fuel is frustrating. And diesel generators are expensive. And the concept of having to have two engines - one to move the vehicle down the road while making the requisite 12v DC current to do so and another to make 120v AC current for use inside the house part of the vehicle - is, well, duplicative.
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 11:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350
And the concept of having to have two engines - one to move the vehicle down the road while making the requisite 12v DC current to do so and another to make 120v AC current for use inside the house part of the vehicle - is, well, duplicative.
That's my feeling as well. Plus I *detest* the noise of a generator at a campsite. My approach to this was two-pronged:

1) Structure things such that my needs can be met by mostly 12-volt (or non-electric) items. This wasn't too hard for me as I was living on boats before solar was so easy - I'm used to it. Plus these days there are LED lights and all kinds of 12-volt or USB gadgets.

2) Set up with enough solar to keep the batteries up while also supplying my power needs.

So far so good. My current rig has a generator but I haven't ever had to use it (kind of wish it weren't there, but I can't yet bring myself to tear it out).

I realize some people have larger appliances they need/want to run. I just found it easier not to need to.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:45 AM   #16

This is interesting for $339 plus you can use a 20% off coupon:

http://www.harborfreight.com/4000-peak3 ... 69676.html

The most helpful reviewer speculates that it is actually a 12v DC alternator powering a 3200 Watt inverter...

So you get a:

6.5 hp engine to repurpose for your snowblower, etc.;

12v DC alternator to stick on your van; and

3200 Watt (not pure sine wave apparently) inverter;

(2) 120V , 20A duplex outlets, 3 prong;
(1) 240V, 30A twist lock outlet, 4 prong;
(1) 12V DC outlet;

all for $319?
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:48 AM   #17

Personally, I like running the van in the morning when I get up, maybe it is from years of running the Auragen to run the microwave to heat water to wash, and to heat the cabin before we had the Webasto diesel furnace, but the Auragen is a big and bulky and expensive set up.

I wonder if your solar is actually truly topping off your house battery or it is only fooling you into believing that it is...
Old 10-24-2015, 12:25 PM   #18

Or get a 4x4 transfer case with a power take off and go big:

16000 Peak/15000 Running Watts Tractor-Driven PTO Generator

http://www.harborfreight.com/16000-watt ... 65309.html
Old 10-24-2015, 09:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350
I wonder if your solar is actually truly topping off your house battery or it is only fooling you into believing that it is...
Are you addressing me? If so, I'm confident that my solar setup is keeping my house batteries up. I have three+ methods of keeping track, and they all basically agree.

1) Smart Gauge battery monitor. This gives a SOC that is based on thousands of voltage readings plus an algorithm It also just reads voltage.

2) Victron battery monitor. This is a coulomb counter type monitor, so the SOC can be inaccurate in certain situations. I mostly use it to see what's going in and out (it's great for that). Also shows battery voltage.

3) Solar controller display shows voltage, and also keeps me apprised of the charging voltage and stage, temperature of battery and controller, and how many amp hours came in.

I trust #1, but I also verify. One way I verify is a voltage reading after the batteries have been at rest (no charging or discharging) for around 12 hours. I am able to shut off all my loads when I want to check.

With few exceptions I'm up between 12.8-12.9 volts when I measure and the gauges agree.

The other way I verify is to keep track of how many amp hours go out, and how many come in. I have a pretty good idea of what to expect, so if something seems "off" I am likely to notice. I know what the refrigerator draws, what my laptop draws, what the fan draws, etc. I don't run that many loads, and I guess I just mentally keep a running tally almost without thinking about it. Probably from years of living on a boat without being able to afford (or have room for) even 200 watts of solar, lights weren't LED, etc.

For example yesterday: I know the refrigerator probably had around a 30% duty cycle (around 30 amp hours; it's not hot here), I charged my laptop once (around 6 amp hours), and I ran an LED light for four hours (2 amp hours), and I charged my phone (not sure what that takes, although not much). The solar controller's tally for the day was 38.x amp hours. So then it makes sense to me that the batteries would be back to 100%, because it's pretty simple math (and the various monitors agree).

Is there any reason you would suspect that 200 watts of solar wouldn't be able to put back 35-40 amp hours in a day? I have taken over 50ah in a day, but usually it is much lower simply because the controller will only put in what the batteries need and I don't usually use that much in a day. The high number days were after it had been cloudy previously, plus I was using a bit more power. If you have a setup that isn't working well (with around the same loads and same input), I would check for voltage drop, and/or the settings on the charge controller. I helped a friend re-do his system, and without really realizing it, he had over 20% voltage drop after the various "legs" were tallied up. Ouch! We took care of that, and a few other things (better settings on the charge controller), and the panels that were not quiiiiite enough before are now doing a good job.

Not that I have the ultimate system by any means, but my needs are relatively small. That makes it a relatively easy task to keep up with them. I am confident in the fact that (so far) the solar has been keeping up fine.

One other thing is that I somewhat actively manage my power draws. What I mean by that is if it's a sunny day, like today was, and my batteries are topped up early in the day, then that's when I break out the Maha charger (charges AA and AAA batts via 12-volt hookup), my Jetpack, the phone, and anything else that needs to be charged. Otherwise, once the batteries are topped up, any potential incoming solar power will go to waste. This is somewhat like having a "load" hooked up to use excess power, only instead of hooking up the load terminal to a water heater or etc., I just manage it on my own, "manually," and use it for whatever might need charging. Not that I couldn't do these things at night from the house bank and then let the solar put it back the next day, but hey, the sun is out today and who knows, tomorrow it might not be. Why let it go to waste.

Everyone is different. The buddy I mentioned has 500 watts of solar, and it's *just* enough. I don't know what I would do with that much power. To each their own.

Sorry for the DC tangent - I don't really use much AC power, so not able to contribute much to the thread topic of 120v AC from a car alternator.
Old 10-25-2015, 12:31 AM   #20

Viva: Thank you as always for your input. My moniker is "Learning slowly...", (although others would disagree...)