Old 09-18-2020, 04:19 PM   #1

2001 E-350 6.8L V10 Electrical Isolation Questions

Hi All,

I've done loads of searching, and have filled my brain with so much information about electrical systems - that I feel like I need to lay out a few of my questions and get some feedback. Please take a moment to review a few (hopefully simple) questions...

The van is a 2001 6.8L V10 with the Ford factory "heavy duty auxiliary battery" option; so I've got a starter battery - and a frame-mounted auxiliary battery.

I've procured (4) Lifeline 6v AGM batteries to wire in series/parallel, so I'll ultimately have a sizable 12v AGM bank for "house" power.

I plan to augment the vehicle/alternator charging system with (2) roof-mounted 100w solar panels (and appropriate charge controller).

I plan to keep the alternator charging system simple, by utilizing the stock relay (that's mounted to the underside of the main battery tray).

My questions are:

1) Does anyone know the specs or amperage rating of the relay/solenoid that comes with the factory auxiliary battery system?

2) Will it be able to be re-used in my electrical system, or would it be prudent to upgrade the solenoid?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 09-18-2020, 11:09 PM   #2

Factory six batt charge circuit is only 40 amps. And maybe 8 gauge wire. For what you want to do, better off starting over with bigger components.