Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2020, 09:09 PM   #1

2008 E350 Radio aux input converter

I have an 04 E350 with a 08 E350 radio. I did that for the CD and the Sat. capability that could be outfitted with a FRDN-AUX/S aux input converter making the Satelite button to be used for Pandora input from my Iphone 3.5mm jack.

The converter no longer has right channel output. I have found that the converter is no longer made. I know that there are blue tooth adapters that allow for playback thru a chosen FM radio channel but to my knowledge they perform poorly. I really don't want to buy a new radio w/aux input because the after market radios have very small buttons and microscopic writing on them. The OEM radio does not and is very user friendly and plenty good quality sound for me..

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Joe

Tried to insert pic but only seems to allow URLs...frustrating!

wahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 09:28 PM   #2

You can still buy new adapter. They are called PAC adapters now, which supercedes the PIE adapter you probably have.

That said... Have you verified the audio cord? I'm had the same happen many times over the years, and it's always the RCA-to-3.5mm cord causing it.

FM modulators are garbage. Even if one does manage to make ok audio, you'll still have ongoing interference issues. But I totally agree the lack of usable buttons on aftermarket units.
Old 02-21-2020, 02:00 AM   #3

carringb thank you for the input.
First thing I did was swap the RCA plugs still no output on right side with 2 different phones. So that leaves the converter or the head unit . I doubt it is the radio.
As for the PAC adapters so far my research is that they don't work on my radio. More to come on that.
Check this out I found tonight: https://www.1factoryradio.com/reman-...-fm-cd-player/ That is for my exact part number radio. Note the jack installed in the "repeat" button. I would be willing to go that route if I don't find some other way.
Old 02-21-2020, 05:10 AM   #4
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoo View Post

SMB doesn't host their own photos so storing images on sites like Imgur works well--all my photos posted here are stored there.

I too like the larger function buttons of stock radios as they're much easier to sight and push when driving---one doesn't have to distract their forward view to do simple tasks. That being said the aftermarket stuff is pretty amazing in what's available option- and function-wise---much of what I need and want can't be reman'd into the stock radio chassis, hands free cell phone calling and answering for one.

The option you link is nice but is that the best option for your needs? I find the Aux port on my Sony CD players along with the two USB ports extremely useful even though I rarely use the USB ports.

FWIW i'm using the Sony MEX-GS620BT from Crutchfield---$168 shipped free. Pretty much the same money but updated for the 2020's. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158GS6...-GS620BT.html?
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 10:38 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoo View Post

Two ways to post a photo here. Easiest is to go down farther on the page to “Additional Options” and click “Manage Attachments”. You can upload straight to your post from your own files. Second way, a little more work, is to start an album, post your pictures there, then copy the BBCode into your post.
Attached Thumbnails
7F60BABA-D5C0-409F-9D2A-2D44E94DF769.jpg  
Old 02-21-2020, 06:57 PM   #6

Thanks Otter, got it.
Old 02-22-2020, 03:15 PM   #7

Wahoo not quite sure what you are after but I do have the original radio out of my 2010 E350 which I cannot see ever being put back in,so you are more than welcome to it.
Blowby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 10:22 PM   #8

Garage
My 2009 has an aux input. Its the base radio.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:42 PM   #9

Blowby, thank you for the offer. So far I have not been able to determine if it will fit. I suspect that the mounting method and wiring connectors are different, but there are lots of adapters out there. Does it have an aux. (3.5mm jack) input?
Would you please send me the part number of the radio. It is printed in bold on a white sticker on the side of the radio. Then I can research it further.

Thanks to you too "dhally" for the input
Old 02-23-2020, 10:04 PM   #10

Wahoo will have to get you the part number tomorrow,this is what i have for you presently.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3705 2.jpg  
Blowby is offline   Reply With Quote