Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-07-2023, 02:13 PM   #1

Blue Sea 7610, 7620, or Victron Orion to replace Sure Power?

The time has come to replace the original Sure Power 1315 separator on my 2011 E250 5.4 with something newer. House battery bank is three AGM Group 31 batteries for about 300ah. No solar.

I've read most, if not all, of the excellent threads about separators, etc. I was going to move to the Blue Sea 7610 to keep things simple (and cheaper), but now I'm wondering if I should spend a bit more and get a DC-DC charger like the Victron. Most of the threads related to the Victron seem to be related to lithium batteries, and don't pertain to my use case. I'm also considering the Blue Sea 7620 to get the start boost switch, but not sure the extra $100+ is worth it for that.

So, is the Victron worth the extra $$ for my simple setup? And does the Victron also work to isolate the house and van systems, too, like the Sure Power does? We do often rely on alternator charging rather than plugging in when on road trips, so that's what has me thinking of the Victron. But in 13+ years of owning SMBs I've never really had charging issues even with the archaic Sure Power, but maybe I don't know what I'm missing! :-)

From photos online, to use the Victron it looks like I'd need to cut off the eye lugs on my current cables and just insert them into the Victron's screw-terminals, but those terminals look awfully small to fit the thicker-gauge power cables. I'm surprised they made them so small...
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote