Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2023, 08:22 PM   #1

CB Radio antennae and mounts.

So my 4x4 club insists on CB Radio for trip communications. My van is not yet converted but my F150 was factory so.... anyway I know I am going to need a radio, ordered a President McKinley II AM / FM / SSB / WX for the van, if I am going to do it do it al the way right? Well I obviously will need an antenna and mount for this. Pretty sure the 102 I used on my Jeep that still likes in my garage won't cut it. Considering I drive the van to work in downtown, and am going to push height limits pretty hard once the 4wd conversion is done, I am thinking about going with a Wilson Electronics Lil Wil mag mount center of the roof immediately in front of the Penthouse.

Can anyone suggest a different / effective antenna / mounting system that will give me at least reasonable performance without being stupid tall?

And yes I can go ultra old school, use a ball mount on the rear corner of the van, mount the 102" and install a rain gutter clip to hold the antenna down for parking garages.... But it would be super directional due to corner mounting...

If I went with a Lil Wil what would be the best way to route the coax into the van?. My van has the overhead console I am planning on installing the radio in...

dbhosttexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 09:13 AM   #2
Spr

I had a hood mount on mine and I believe I had a 4ft fire stick antenna. The mount was in line with the radio antenna but on the other side. Stuck up just over the roof and worked great. I also liked it because I could see the antenna while driving.
Old 12-02-2023, 09:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spr View Post
I had a hood mount on mine and I believe I had a 4ft fire stick antenna. The mount was in line with the radio antenna but on the other side. Stuck up just over the roof and worked great. I also liked it because I could see the antenna while driving.
Not a horrible idea. I assume you mean the kind that bolts to the fender? The hood on my van, not sure if all 4th gen Econolines are like this, but my van has a fiberglass hood and it actually appears aged right along with the rest of the van. Would that be a problem?

I am having trouble finding a mount though specific to my van. Any recommendations or even a recommendation for a vendor that can assist with this?
Old 12-02-2023, 10:44 AM   #4
Spr

I think this is the one I used https://www.rightchannelradios.com/p...-antenna-mount
Old 12-02-2023, 10:51 AM   #5
Spr

Feel free to PM me your cell and I can send a pic. Not sure how to post pics here (eye roll)
Old 12-02-2023, 05:49 PM   #6

Just PMed you. Firestik 2 in my shopping cart (tunable tip)

It has been a tremendously long time since I set up a Firestik, like 1993 was the last one I dealt with. I do not recall. Does it need the spring between the antenna and the mount stud?
Old 12-02-2023, 07:49 PM   #7

Looking for a CB refresher here, again long time on this. The 102" + 6" spring is 108" making 1/4 wave, the Firestik is listed as a 5/8 wave antenna. Conventional wisdom I have always heard is your coax should be 1/2 wave, or 18', however I have never used a 5/8 wave antenna, and the friend I helped set up his firestik in 1992 is no longer a friend and even if, most likely won't remember... (long stupid story involving my ex...). I think I am ready to pull the trigger on the order just want to make sure...
Old 12-03-2023, 03:47 AM   #8
Site Team

Garage
I had a communication company replace my longer whip (that was located in the same spot) that hit a limb, flew back and broke one of my glass solar panels. They replaced it with a loaded shorter model. Sorry I don't recall the make. The van has been on a flat bed tow and the antenna cleared the lowest overpass bridges and what not.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC07519.jpg  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 10:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
I had a communication company replace my longer whip (that was located in the same spot) that hit a limb, flew back and broke one of my glass solar panels. They replaced it with a loaded shorter model. Sorry I don't recall the make. The van has been on a flat bed tow and the antenna cleared the lowest overpass bridges and what not.
I hadn't considered any potential damage to solar as my solar setup is portable so I can setup camp in the shade and deploy my panels in full sunlight. That thought process honestly is a mixed bag.

I have ordered what I need for my CB rig and if it were not for me wanting to keep this rig for the foreseeable future I have overspent...

Got the Van specific fender channel mount that was mentioned above, but found it on Walmarts website for a lot less. Got a 3' Firestik II in red, so the tunable tip version, got a HD spring for the whip, the coax, and of course the President McKinley II FCC so AM / FM / SSB transciever with Weather channel receiver with alerts. I still have my Realistic TRC-465, and it still works great. I actually have 3 of them but that is a long convoluted story, people kept giving me radios when they got out of CB. I have given 3 of the radios BACK to the gifters when they decided they wanted to get back into it...

One item I did not deem necessary, and this is the only radio I have ever had that I didn't consider it needed was a noise cancelling power mic. I have seen the demos / heard the differences and there really is no noticeable to me improvement over the stock mic.... I may eventually go for a Digimike just to get a beefier handset but not for sound purposes...

I am not certain, but I am HOPEFUL that the radio will fit in the upper console cubby. Not sure what else that compartment is good for other than a CB, maps things like that...

I figure IF I can mount it there, I will route the coax through a firewall penetration I need to locate still, securing it as I go along up to the fender mount, then working the other way along the kick panel, beside the dash tucked in, up the A pillar, and into the overhead console where I will loop the excess into a figure 8. Get everything to the radio, mount and power the radio, mic etc... set up the SWRs and call it good.
Old 12-03-2023, 11:04 AM   #10

dbhosttexas - - Perhaps of interest to add into your thinking...I used a Folding Aerial Bracket from Rhino-Rack in our HAM install...nice to be able to easily and quickly fold down the antenna in trees and brush.

https://www.rhinorack.com/en-us/prod...-bracket_43196

I mounted it like this.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hM5UkS6jnj9AD8ePA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/B9DSvyXZQgHr4ELJA

Have used it for about 2-years...sturdy...has held up well...I often run it at a 45 degree angle to keep the height down without practical signal loss close in with others...

Hope the thoughts help...best, Em -
bec_n_em is offline   Reply With Quote