Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2023, 02:37 PM   #1

Help identifying alternator.

At some point in its 30 year life, my van has had its alternator changed, and apparently the bracket as well. The alternator I ordered specificc to my van, to get a 150 amp alternator in there is literally 1" too short bolt hole to bolt hole to fit.

I was wondering if there is somewhere I can get a listing with physical dimensions of the alternators that were installed to the Ford 300 inline six on various applications? I can narrow it down to it is definately a serpentine belt arrangement.

My concern is for having the ability to replace the alternator in a reasonable amount of time should a failure occur. If I knew what alternator is actually IN there, and knew what application it went to, instead of ordering a 150 amp alternator for 1993 Ford E250 4.9L, possibly it came from a Bronco, or a dump truck or whatever and knowing THAT I could order the right thing and be on my way...

dbhosttexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 04:28 PM   #2

Since not finding helpful answers here, or other forums, let me post what I found...

https://alternatorparts.com/how-to-i...-case-faq.html

I was absolutely certain I was looking at a Motorcraft alternator on my Ford van, not because someone can't fit an AC Delco to it, but because the case looked like the one on my F150, just sized different. So I did some googlin'

And came up with this site.

Futher digging, and a visual inspection of what I have shows this is a 3G Large case alternator. Now trying to find fittment. They were fitted to 4.9L (300CID) inline sixes on the F series trucks, but not the E series vans which got the small case 3G alternator.

Call to Summit racing the small case 3G is going back the large case 200 amp 3G is coming in, ships today. So we are good to go...

I am assuming the pics and measurements I find online are correct, 100% certain this is the right fittment. So my alternator problem should be done. And after the fact I know what alternator to order should the OE one fail...
dbhosttexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 08:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhosttexas View Post
Since not finding helpful answers here, or other forums, let me post what I found...
When you do order you might consider this large case 3GT alternator. It is rated at 300 amps with sophisticated charge control. The add also lists the applicable Ford models.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202513986004

I did a quick search for the 300 ci inline 6 and found this info.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_straight-six_engine

Iy looks like the 300 6 cyl was used up to 1996 on the Econolines.

Ford 300 irrigation pump. This one is equipped with extra cooling devices due to the radiators on these units being inadequate to cool the engine in very hot weather

The 300 cu in (4.9 L) six was first offered in the F-Series for 1965. It is essentially a 240 cu in (3.9 L) with a longer stroke of 3.98 in (101 mm). The two engines are nearly identical; the differences are in the rotating assembly and combustion chamber sizes in the head (the heads are interchangeable). It produced 170 hp (127 kW) (gross). The 300 became the base F-Series engine in 1978 at 114 hp (85 kW) (horsepower number changes due to Ford switching to net power ratings in 1971). Power outputs were increased to roughly 122 hp (91 kW) during the early 1980s, before fuel injection was introduced. This became the primary engine of the line, eclipsing the 240. Unlike the Falcon engine, it featured separate intake and exhaust manifolds, which could be easily replaced with aftermarket manifolds offering the promise of even more power, through the installation of larger carburetors and a higher flowing exhaust system.

Also during the late 1960s and early 1970s, the 300 was used in larger vehicles such as dump trucks, many weighing into the 15,000 lb (6,804 kg) to 20,000 lb (9,072 kg) range. These engines were equipped with a higher flow HD (Heavy Duty) exhaust manifold and forged crankshafts and rods since the engines were going to be constantly working in the 3,000–4,000 rpm range. These rare yet effective manifolds had a much higher exhaust flow rate because many of these engines would spend hours at 3,000 rpm or more. Due to their straightforward and high flowing design, enthusiasts often seek these manifolds out because they allow turbochargers to be easily retrofitted to the engine.

Beginning in 1978, the engine displacement was advertised in metric, becoming "4.9 L." Fuel injection and other changes in 1987 pushed output up to 150 hp (112 kW) horsepower with an 8.8:1 compression ratio. Even though this engine was renowned for its durability, low-end torque, and ease of service, it was gradually phased out. Production ended in 1996, making it the last inline-six gasoline engine offered in a Ford car or light truck in North America. It was replaced by the 4.2L Essex V6 for 1997 in the radically redesigned F-150 and the E-150 and E-250. The 300 was mated to the Ford C6, E4OD, AOD, ZF S5-42 and S5-47 transmissions, as well as the Mazda built M5OD 5-speed manual transmission, and the Borg-Warner T18, Tremec RTS, and New Process NP435 4-speed manual transmissions.

Race car driver Scott Donohue raced a rally truck with a Ford 300 inline-six in it and won the Baja 1000 three times. This engine is also used by Stewart & Stevenson in the MA Baggage Tow Tractor,[2] and Harlan in their standard tow tractors,[3] as well as a multitude of other pieces of equipment, such as ski lifts, power generators, wood chippers, tractors, and, until they converted to diesel engines, most UPS trucks. In stationary service (generators and pumps) fueled with LPG or natural gas, this engine is known as the CSG-649.

Applications:

1965–1996 Ford F-Series (F-100, F-150, F-250, F-350, and F-600)[4]
1968–1996 Ford E-Series (E-100, E-150, E-250, and E-350)[5]
1980–1992 Ford Bronco
Attached Thumbnails
3G_Alternators.jpg  
posplayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 05:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhosttexas View Post

I was absolutely certain I was looking at a Motorcraft alternator on my Ford van, not because someone can't fit an AC Delco to it, but because the case looked like the one on my F150, just sized different. So I did some googlin'

And came up with this site.

Futher digging, and a visual inspection of what I have shows this is a 3G Large case alternator. Now trying to find fittment. They were fitted to 4.9L (300CID) inline sixes on the F series trucks, but not the E series vans which got the small case 3G alternator.

Call to Summit racing the small case 3G is going back the large case 200 amp 3G is coming in, ships today. So we are good to go...

I am assuming the pics and measurements I find online are correct, 100% certain this is the right fittment. So my alternator problem should be done. And after the fact I know what alternator to order should the OE one fail...

I ran a 3g 300 amp Alt from MEchMan.. it bolts right up.. You must have something else as it should bolt right in 3g or not.

https://www.mechman.com/alternators/...-series-van-1/
Vanzila is offline   Reply With Quote