Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2024, 12:21 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
Yes.....I disable the DC-DC converter before combining the batteries. I didn't disable it the first time I combined them, that's how I discovered it gets quite hot.

Yes, exactly.
I did a lot of this detailed design on my other van that got totaled. I now recall one thing I had in mind was to keep the start battery charging while parked so that I did not have to connect the radio to the house battery.

I got a cheap 4 amp battery charger to run off the inverter (output connected to the input terminals of the DC-DC.

If the house battery goes down too far, the inverter will shut off (e.g. 11V)so you will not drain the start battery but it will have been charged while depleting the house battery.

At that point, you have to start the engine to use the DC-DC to recharge the house.

In any event in your case, it is simple to add a single switch (because you have a common frame return. In my case where I am isolated, two heavy relays would take less room and I would only use it if the start battery crocked for some reason. The 4 amp trickle should have kept it up (unless I forgot to plug it in )

I can still play the radio all I want and not worry about draining the start battery.

posplayr is offline   Reply With Quote