Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2024, 02:39 PM   #1

Mounting Weboost Antenna to PH Top?

I recently picked up an upgraded antenna for my Wilson/Weboost cell amplifier and am trying to figure out where/how to mount it. My previous Weboost antenna was on a magnetic base and I just "stuck" it to my metal roof in front of the PH top. The new one is the fancy type that all the #vanlifers are so fond of. I have the "Drive RV Antenna," which comes with a bracket designed to mount to something round like a rear ladder or a big side mirror bracket. Ideally what I want is a raingutter mount that also folds down for travel, but I can't seem to find anything that does that. Weboost does have an "overlanding" bracket ($120, yikes!) that folds down, but is not raingutter-compatible. Worst-case scenario I can direct-mount a bracket to the side of the PH through the fiberglass (one benefit to this is that the antenna would be up nice and high when the top is popped), but I'd still want to be able to fold it down when not in use.

So, anyway, anyone have a good idea for a fold-down raingutter antenna mount for my Weboost external antenna? Thanks! (Attached photo is the stock bracket that's included as well as the type of antenna.)
Attached Images

BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 04:51 PM   #2

Garage
Getting a little creative here: If you used one of the Aluminess roof drip rail brackets (like they use for their ladders), you could mount the top 2 holes on the weboost bracket to the bottom of the Aluminess bracket, and use a strong suction cup on the bottom of the weboost bracket so it's secure. Really, the bottom of the bracket will just stabilize the antenna from flopping back and forth against the van - so it really doesn't need to be weight bearing.

You're close by Brian, and I have an extra Aluminess ladder bracket I'll donate to your project if you have any interest.

EDIT: If you want the bracket to be able to tilt, you could just use one bolt (top right) to affix to the Aluminess bracket (Bottom right) with the suction cup on the bottom of the WeBoost bracket. Then all you'd have to do is disengage the suction cup, swing the bottom to the right (top bolt would just pivot), and then re-engage the suction cup so the WeBoost brackets is now positioned sideways - antenna facing towards the back of the van so wind will not have any affect on its posture)
Old 01-15-2024, 05:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Getting a little creative here: If you used one of the Aluminess roof drip rail brackets (like they use for their ladders), you could mount the top 2 holes on the weboost bracket to the bottom of the Aluminess bracket, and use a strong suction cup on the bottom of the weboost bracket so it's secure. Really, the bottom of the bracket will just stabilize the antenna from flopping back and forth against the van - so it really doesn't need to be weight bearing.

You're close by Brian, and I have an extra Aluminess ladder bracket I'll donate to your project if you have any interest.

Thanks, I'll look into that option! And drat: I was just in Annapolis this past Thursday night/Friday morning! :-)

The main thing that has me flummoxed is how to have it fold down parallel to the van body/roof for travel. For fixed mount I can probably modify the bracket it came with and just bolt that to the side of the PH top.
Old 01-16-2024, 06:31 AM   #4

Mounted our WeBoost RV external antenna on the roof rack, passenger side rear, using the clamp that comes in the kit. Really, any piece of angle could also be used. The spring mount that comes in the kit is way to stiff to allow for deflection so I removed it and did not use the extension mast.

Clear horizontal "view" all the time and with the pop top up it gets the extra elevation. And, very importantly the max separation from the smaller interior antenna to minimize feedback between the two antennae.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8717.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	49479
Old 01-16-2024, 12:44 PM   #5

this was from a thread on mounting a CB antenna but may apply to your WE-Boost antenna.

https://www.rhinorack.com/en-us/prod...-bracket_43196
Old 01-21-2024, 11:02 AM   #6

Garage
I found a gutter mount antenna bracket on eBay, It seems to work fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
I... Weboost does have an "overlanding" bracket ($120, yikes!) that folds down, but is not raingutter-compatible.

So, anyway, anyone have a good idea for a fold-down raingutter antenna mount for my Weboost external antenna? Thanks! (Attached photo is the stock bracket that's included as well as the type of antenna.)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2781.jpg  
Fool120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 11:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool120 View Post
I found a gutter mount antenna bracket on eBay, It seems to work fine.

Thanks. Does it fold down? That's the idea of what I want, but with the ability to fold down parallel to the top for when I'm not actively using it.
Old 01-21-2024, 11:34 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
Thanks. Does it fold down? That's the idea of what I want, but with the ability to fold down parallel to the top for when I'm not actively using it.
The gutter mount won't do that by itself, yet there other pieces that could make it do that. A quick search on "folding CB mount" showed some more expensive boat models, and this cheaper model: https://www.americanradiosupply.com/...MaAlaHEALw_wcB
Fool120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 07:10 PM   #9

Have had success with this setup,attaching to our roof rack.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3785.jpg   IMG_3781.jpg   IMG_3783.jpg   IMG_1169.jpg  
Blowby is offline   Reply With Quote