Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2014, 05:51 AM   #1
Site Team

Portable battery, good for jump starts

I was just told about this battery, so need to look into it a lot more, but the guy I know said when his battery died, the AAA service tech came out and used this small battery to jump start his Bronco. Supposedly the service tech had already jump started a half dozen vehicles with it that day.

200CCA in a package that's 5"x2.8"x1". Comes with their own 12V jumper clamps. Lithium battery.

http://www.amazon.com/Antigravity-Batte ... B00GT2FUB2

Herb

Old 05-22-2014, 08:09 AM   #2

Re: Portable battery, good for jump starts

Amazing ... assume it would start the 6.0? 12 ounces!
salivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:26 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by salivan
Amazing ... assume it would start the 6.0? 12 ounces!
I am also very curious if it would start a diesel.

Herb
Old 05-22-2014, 09:33 AM   #4

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

I have one, and it would not start my 6.0 when it was dead from being parked for several weeks. It did start a dead Chevy truck the other day.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:38 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile
I have one, and it would not start my 6.0 when it was dead from being parked for several weeks. It did start a dead Chevy truck the other day.
Good to know. It's asking a lot for a little battery. Did the engine even crank over?

Herb
Old 05-22-2014, 09:42 AM   #6

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Got nothing out of it. Hooked up regular jumper cables from my truck and it tried to crank... ran the truck at high idle with the cables hooked up until batteries took a little charge and then it cranked slow and started - took 45 minutes.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:06 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage

I have one for my portable stereo and it works ok. Never tried to start a vehicle. I also keep it with my Harley as a backup on rides. Great for little things. I don't know how it work if you left it hooked to the battery for a few minutes and then tried to start the van. I would think it would start the van easier with the batteries disconnected than with a couple of dead batteries that would hog the load. My buddy wants to try it out on his tractor and if I get over there one of these days I'll try it. Those jump starters like sears sells won't start it.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:23 PM   #8

The battery seems sorta like the Lithiums that are becoming popular with bikers, since you need no trickle charger. Antigravity's jump starter is somewhat different; there are several different types of lithium ion batteries; most vehicle batteries seem to be LiFePO4s, although I think the jump starter variety Antigravity sells is NOT (somewhere I read they said it isn't a LiFePO4). I couldn't find detailed specs, like how many amp hours these hold or the C number. But if it's up to 400 amp then I'd guess it's a 3-4Ah battery just based on the fact that many I've seen have C numbers up in the 130 range for a quick burst, as the buy in the ExPo thread below mentioned. Maybe a Li manganese?

There's a thread at ExPo about them: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/t ... Jump-Packs

And one at Adventure Rider: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897396. This one has a detailed post about their use in RC stuff if you wanna roll your own.

Seem like a really cool thing to have, esp since you could use one if your alternator fails and run for a bit since they're so small they could fit under the hood. I've had to drive with jumpers snaked out the engine bay and into the passenger seat...ugh.

And it doubles for use with laptops and such, although I'd just it doesn't hold as much as the LiFePO4 batteries.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:48 PM   #9

That video Dave posted above is crazy. I can't believe that little thing will keep going for that long. Pretty impressive.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 04:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile
I have one, and it would not start my 6.0 when it was dead from being parked for several weeks.
I don't think any jumper pack has enough capacity to jump two completely dead dual batts. Even just starting without a base charge doesn't work, since you just can't move enough current through standard jumper cables. Maybe if you use welding lead it might work.

Plus... you don't want to jump a 6.0 anyways. Always apply a base charge when you can. Or at the very least keep the jump donor attached until the 6.0's alternator can maintain proper voltage on its own. Jumpstarting a 6.0 and leaving it charge itself is a good way to earn a new FICM.