Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2024, 11:34 AM   #1

SMB OEM fuse panel question.

So my 93 SMB has a 6 fuse fuse box. This is in turn mounted to a piece of plywood that is L bracketed into the front face of my drivers side dinette base. The circuits are wired, and a hole was drilled by SMB apparently when they ran the wires to route them behind.

I am wanting to add 12V circuits, most notably for the fridge (done) and for my added 12v charging / USB charging ports, and for the water pump and gasoline heater. I have the open fuse spaces, but am concerned about drilling through like SMB did for fear of hitting the original wiring.

Is there any good reason I shouldn't simply route the wires around the side of it and just go around instead of through? I already did it with the fridge and it works great.

I figure once I get the wiring done, I will print out a fuse panel label, and create another addendum to the OEM manual I have to show the changes I have made.

dbhosttexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 02:31 PM   #2

I'll leave the DETAILS on running the wires to Forum experts - but I'd certainly consider covering with plastic "loom" cover(s).
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 05:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevan2 View Post
I'll leave the DETAILS on running the wires to Forum experts - but I'd certainly consider covering with plastic "loom" cover(s).
That should kind of be a given, my question was more of a, how important is it to run THROUGH the plastic of the fuse box that Sportsmobile used. It seems entirely cosmetic to me but might serve to possibly supoort the weight of the wire...
Old 01-10-2024, 02:15 PM   #4

Garage
I recommend disassembling everything and matching the factory installation. It will look factory and protect the wires.
Old 01-10-2024, 04:33 PM   #5

@dhally that is probably sound advice. Plus if I disassemble it I could review how much slack wire Sportsmobile put in there, seems to be more than just a little, and if possible maybe slide it towrd the front corner of the cabinet. It is in an ackward location for fitment of the battery bank and heater...