Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2012, 09:25 AM   #11
Site Team

Garage
Re: Sourcing flip-down TV with tuner (not just monitor)?

I know it sounds like you're in an area where TV signal might be strong, but does that built in antenna receive HDTV signal well? I just wonder if SMB started using the correct TV antennas since the signal switched over to HDTV a few years back. ???

I gave up on TV since the switch cause even with a booster, unless I'm in an area close to a station, all I get is a blank screen. At least in the old days I got a snowy signal and while not the best picture quality, I could at least see something. I miss watching a good football game on sundays up in the sticks.

dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:24 AM   #12

My van is a 1998, built in Indiana. I was curious how well the antenna would do, too. I hooked up the 15" LED flatscreen I have and let it autoprogram the channels. It got all my local over-the-air channels, including the "side" digital channels, even in HD. I had to push the powered booster button built into the coax antenna feed to get it to work, but it did!

Of course, I'm in a metro area and get a strong signal. I haven't tried it yet in a rural area. I'm sure it won't work nearly as well. I also picked up a stand-alone, powered (110v) HDTV antenna at a yard sale for $5, so maybe that will work better. I'm going to see how it all works next time we have the van out camping.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #13
Site Team

Garage

Please post back on the preformance in rural areas with weak signal. I just don't want to purchase something that'll never work. Also my van is wired for cable and I would need a small antenna that I could tie to the rack while parked. If it takes a monster antenna, it won't be worth the hassle to haul such a thing for the few football games I'd end up watching. thanks

Old 10-03-2012, 02:35 PM   #14
Site Team

What's the current draw of a system like that? While researching house batteries, solar, power loads for my teardrop, I found that a simple car stereo head unit (w/o DVD) draws in the neighborhood of 8 amps. I got preoccupied with saving fractions of amps here and there, and then I find out I'm drawing 8 amps by playing my stereo.

Herb
Old 10-03-2012, 09:34 PM   #15

Herb ,
Our Kenwood runs right at 7.3 amps with the DVD or the stereo running and I would imagine the same for TV w/o the power booster and Winegard Antenae running . I gave the TV Antenae to one of my neighbors a couple of years ago after trying in a couple locations without feeling the need for carrying
This bulky Dome around for no reason .
Greggd
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:10 PM   #16

Wow, I had no idea that regular head units draw that many amps! Good to know.

Our van is pre-wired for campground cable TV, has the rooftop antenna (wired separately) with built-in power booster, and I've pre-wired the video out from the Kenwood DVD headunit I installed over the summer. So, three potential video sources.

I don't know why SMB didn't put a simple A/B switch on the cable/antenna feeds and only have one coax plug, but as the more I work on my van the more I don't understand why SMB did a lot of things the way they did.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #17

Sourcing flip-down TV with tuner (not just monitor)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
What's the current draw of a system like that? While researching house batteries, solar, power loads for my teardrop, I found that a simple car stereo head unit (w/o DVD) draws in the neighborhood of 8 amps. I got preoccupied with saving fractions of amps here and there, and then I find out I'm drawing 8 amps by playing my stereo.

Herb
No wonder I ran my van's battery down playing music while I was working on it. I had no idea the stereo pulled that much!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #18
Site Team

Garage

I had Randy at SMB add a switch to defeat the sub amp cause the draw was so much. Besides, the extra deep bass didn't help at all while watching DVD's and actually made it worse. After my van was vandalized at the dealership...no pun intended, they got my video equipment and amplifiers. Since then I've used my laptop as a monitor. The TV/monitors that seem to pull the lowest is what the truckers are using but I'm always looking for whats best out there.
As little as I've watched DVD's after the SOB's gutted my van, replacement wasn't high on the list but with winter approching my eyes and ears are open a bit.

Hopefully I'll find a good monitor soon.

The monitor needs to be a low amp draw model with a DVD player to save space. It's got to be able to stand off road terrain to a point and I'd like to be able to mount it if possible. Because of that, the viewing angle has to be able to be seen from a the front and back seats in my 50 model. So if anybody can push me in the right direction I'd appreciate it. I don't think I would need anything bigger than a 12" screen.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:52 PM   #19

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Because of that, the viewing angle has to be able to be seen from a the front and back seats in my 50 model. So if anybody can push me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.
Dave, I'm using a VESA articulating desktop mount for our PC/monitor. When we're offroading I secure the arms with a long strip of velcro, it's very secure. There's a thousand different versions of these mounts, search amazon for "desktop vesa mount". I had to buy a heavy duty mount because the PC weighs 20lbs.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #20
Site Team

Garage

Thanks Ron, looks like that is the mount I'm after.