Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2021, 02:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurshir View Post
Finkcky - Here is one more complication to be aware of. Tripp-Lite equipment, maybe just the older ones, have a history of tripping ground fault receptacles and breakers. I believe that a work-around has been posted somewhere in this forum. You might want to confirm that your unit is compatible, (or not), with ground fault protection before ending up with 120V available but not able to use it.
And I can attest to that. Had to replace my 15 amp gfi with 30 amp RV set up even after trying a 20 amp gfi. However lots of Inverters have this problem so Tripplite is not the only culprit.

vlagat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 06:34 PM   #12

The work around to keep the Tripp-Lite from tripping the GFCI is to switch to Invert/charge, plug in your shore power. Wait about one min for your Tripp-Lite to go through it’s setup and then switch back to charge only.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellpilot View Post
The work around to keep the Tripp-Lite from tripping the GFCI is to switch to Invert/charge, plug in your shore power. Wait about one min for your Tripp-Lite to go through it’s setup and then switch back to charge only.
Does not work for me. As soon as I plug in, whether in Charge or Inverter mode, it trips the GFCI. However, during the lockdown, I had to use a GFCI mounted on an Oman generator. No problem. I am told by my electrician buddies that not all gfci outlets are equal. Firstly anything over 5 years since installation and in normal use, is no longer able to sustain its rated amperage and will trip at anything close above 90% of the rating. And this will deteriorate continuously. Also different manufacturers differ in the rate of deterioration. Generally Thomas and Betts are the best they think but under recent New ownership their quality has deteriorated. The EU mandates and tests to a 20 year quality standard and incorporates the gfci into all breakers.
Old 08-02-2021, 09:09 PM   #14

Interesting, I just built a new shop and had some old temp GFCI’s installed until I finished the painting and finished the electrical trim. The old GFCI’s and new ones work without an issue.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:24 AM   #15

"Without an issue" ? Until you put the rated amperage through the switch at immediate full load as the Tripplite does, you cannot know this without a comparable test.

The problem with the Inverter on any RV is that the second you connect to shore power it sucks down 20 amps for its inverter and charger. That's why it's able to respond the second you plug in an appliance. It does not have battery/capacitor reservoir until as much as 15 to 30 seconds after its received 20 amps from the shore supply. This taxes the aging, often weathered gfci, wiring and breakers. They were never designed for this unlike their EU cousins.
Old 08-04-2021, 06:19 PM   #16

Finckey, in general unless you are charging or inverting leave the switch on the tripp lite in the middle off position. That way you won't be draining the batteries....The remote switch you can only use with the mounted 3 position switch in the auto position, as stated elsewhere....Really when plugged in with standard sportsmobile configurations you will have 110v on your AC plugs (thru the 110 ckt breakers), and be just charging your batts with the tripp. So when plugged in we just use the charge position on the 3 way. When not plugged in and inverting, then you go to auto and use the remote panel switched to the right.......Make sense?

You didn't provide the model of the inverter, but here is the most common for sportsmobile builds..
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tripplite Inverter Manual MRV2012.pdf (1.15 MB, 9 views)
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 06:58 PM   #17

That's correct. But if you are not connected to shore power and not needing the inverter, or any 12v appliance, leaving the Tripplite in Auto will deplete the battery in 6 hours.

Tags
battery, battery charging, inverter