Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2014, 09:00 PM   #51

Re: Introduction and Beginning our Adventure

Thank you and great tread on the solar. From what I can tell, really good setup and fits our needs. We also do not typically stay in a place more than couple days. Does anyone have this setup. Love to hear more and what you think. Will also inquire with SMB. I also assume this setup with less expensive than the solar panels route.

danhtran1143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:56 PM   #52
Site Team

Garage

In the electrical FAQ's on this site there are a few links worth reading on RV electrical that has sub-links to basic solar.
Might be some help.
Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:45 PM   #53

A couple ideas on your interior build that might be helpful. When looking at the gaucho, ask SMB if they can put the driver's side passenger seat on a sliding base, or if they can put it on a swivel base and match the height of the gaucho to the height of the bottom of the seat with an arm that flips up. If on a sliding base, SMB can add a small flip-up table at the end of the gaucho that you could put a cushion on to essentially extend the gaucho length for the bed config. Same concept if the seat was on a swivel and the heights matched, when swiveled the seat would provide extra length to the gaucho bed. My gaucho has a short 6" long flip-up table at the end behind the driver's seat, so when parked I slide the driver's seat forward and flip the table up and have a nice long bed.

One other thing to consider in the design is whether the bed in the top will be placed at the front or back when sleeping. If you go for a fixed top I would recommend asking SMB how to place the bed at the front to sleep. Inevitabley whoever is sleeping up top will have to pee in the middle of the night, and you'll have to climb down off the bed. If the top bed is forward you climb down into the empty space by the bathroom, but if the bed is in the back you have to climb down AND walk the length of the gaucho while in the bed config, which is a PITA and disturbs anyone sleeping on the gaucho.

I like the idea of the fixed top. In travel mode, you can leave the bed down and throw all your bedding and clothes and whatever else up top (could even throw the surfboards up there). Gives you a lot of extra storage room, which is always at a premium in these rigs. It doesn't seem to be the "big" items that use it all up because we all plan for those. It always seems to be the little stuff, like papertowels and TP and spices and wet-wipes and wash rags and towels and lanterns and flashlights and toiletries and ..... the list goes on forever and when you have them all collected together they add up FAST.

Just some thoughts.

-Bryce
bphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:04 PM   #54

Just a quick update. Will be heading to the mother ship tomorrow to drop the van off. Will post what the first phase build will be after meeting with Jonathan.

Also, please let me know if anyone has a build going and wants me to snap some photos. Starting to get excited again.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:53 PM   #55

Good for you. Keep us updated.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:41 PM   #56

Here we go. Just received couple shots of the van from Jonathan at SMB West. The first phase is modest but will allow us to use the van asap. We are doing the following:

hard top with bed, windows, and fan
12V secondary battery system
finish the interior paneling and trim
flooring
some cabinets, rear driver side top

Looking at about another 3 weeks to completion of this phase. Just in time for spring break and hopefully our first journey, Death Valley.

More to come.......

Attached Thumbnails
photo 1 copy.JPG   photo 2 copy.JPG  
Old 03-04-2014, 09:26 AM   #57
Site Team

Always nice to see progress. Now's the time for any future wiring you might need (solar, A/V, power outlets/USB ports,...).

Herb
Old 03-18-2014, 02:52 PM   #58

How's your build coming along?
Old 03-18-2014, 10:53 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer
How's your build coming along?
All is good but no new pictures to update. Sent an email to SMB today asking about when it will be ready. The wait is killing us.

Actually Mikracer, might be down in Avila in couple weeks. Hope to be enjoying the new van for that trip.

Stay tune. Also, just let me know if you need me to take some photos when I am down there, hopefully next week.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:04 PM   #60

Never thought the day will come but here it is. Will be heading down to SMB tomorrow for the pickup. Will post some pictures of the Phase I build asap. Packin', loadin', and heading out for our first adventure next week for spring break. We are heading to Death Valley, first timer.

More to come!!!!!!!