Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2014, 02:36 PM   #61

Re: Introduction and Beginning our Adventure

Awesome! Its got to be a great feeling to finally get this thing on the road. Hopefully one day I'll be able to build one new.

Old 04-04-2014, 03:34 PM   #62

I consider myself a half-assed perfectionist
Stillvanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:00 AM   #63

Ok, here are some final pictures of the van after the first phase. It is a modest first build but we are so happy to get it back just to enjoy it. Hopefully, we can use it to figure out what things are must haves and fine tune for the build out. Will enjoy this phase through at least this coming September. Again, want to give a big shout out to everyone for your help, feedback, and support to sticking with the dream.

Also want to give a special thanks to Jonathan and his team at SMB West. They did a great job and always willing to provide feedback and recommendations.

Been packing and loading all day. The kids have spring break next week so we are getting on it. Adventure No. 1, Death Valley, here we come.
Attached Thumbnails
_DH_8762.JPG   IMG_0552.JPG   IMG_0555.JPG  
danhtran1143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:02 AM   #64

Couple more of the inside.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0558.JPG   IMG_0561.jpg  
Old 04-07-2014, 09:08 AM   #65

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33

Sweet build! I'm thinking of something similar... May I ask why a voyager rather pop top? Also what are thinking of doing with window curtains?

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:13 PM   #66

Ok, just got back from our first adventure, Death Valley. Will try to post a trip summary under a separate topic. This is what we know so far for the van/build.

Surfgeek, we strictly went with the hard top for couple reasons. We will be camping in the snow and winter. I had the same issues and most on this forum said their penthouse works fine even in the cold. The other reason, we like standing tall in the van without having to pop the top. I hear the electric PH makes it more convenient. After this past weekend and though only one adventure, we love the hardtop. Plenty of space for us and with the windows, it does not feel enclosed. Also, nice to have a huge storage area up top.

One last post to share our experience for this first phase. The van exceeded all expectations. My wife didn't tell me but she didn't even pack a tent. We are really glad we took this phased approach. We learned we really like the full open space in the back of the van as is. Not sure how yet to incorporate this but may be revising some things. We love the largest rear cabinet over the rear doors. Will definitely keep the pass through floor plan. We use the rear door a lot and cannot imaging not being able to access the van from the rear. Again, may not be the best way to go but we recommend using the van and figuring out what you really want. For us, it was a combination of finance and timing. Looking back, very glad it worked out this way.

One last time. We like to thank each and everyone on this forum again for your knowledge, experience, and feedback. We look forward to meeting most of you in the near future. Will pick up this topic again hopefully in September for the next build.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:14 PM   #67

I haven't checked this post in a long time, but have been meaning to. I had the pleasure if only meeting Dan (Yon?) for just a moment as I left the Leavitt Lake meet. I've gotta say this van is awesome in person, and I only saw the outside! I really wish I had had time to check out the inside since the floor plan is so far exactly what I would like to do. I can't wait to see more. It looked great with the bike rack and road/mountain bikes on the back.

Eric
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 12:00 PM   #68

Hi Eric and thanks again for the love. Very nice of you to do the double-turn to say hello. Pretty sweet ride yourself. Taking your lead, we are a week into our Pacific Northwest adventure. Currently in Fork looking for spoon and if we dare, knives.

Just some minor modifications to the interior for our trip. Replaced the bench with two captains chairs. Much better for the kids to sleep with. Also a flatform on the floor to increase storage capacity. Will try to get some pictures posted.

Thanks again and enjoy.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:30 PM   #69

Some quick questions. It looks like the van is dragging butt due to the heavier build-out. Actually, a little more sagging then shown in the picture.

1. Is this a big problem or any long-term maintenance issues such as tire wear or anting else. 2. Do I need to bring back to Quadvan or Sportsmobile to modify or can a local shop help. 3. Does anyone have anyone they would recommend for such work in the San Jose or Bay Area. Thank you as always.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0973.JPG  
Old 08-07-2014, 05:38 PM   #70

I don't think there's any risk at all to running with a little rear sag if you can stand it. There are lots of threads on fixing this from adding a rear leaf or air bags all the way up to Deaver $$$prings. Air bags did the trick for me for around $200 and they are easy to install yourself.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote