Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-28-2011, 03:34 PM   #1

Vans such large targets for the police

I have had my van for a year. In that year I have been pulled over 4 times by the police. 3 times just to check out the van. No tickets. I try not to speed but do follow the flow of traffic, especially in Colorado where that IS the law. Sometimes I may be 10 over on the interstate. Where I get nailed are these small town speed traps.

For the record, I do not get along with the police. We are oil and water. Christmas eve 2010 camping north of SF, was hassled by the police, accused of stealing my newly purchased SMB. I looked "far too young to own such a fine vehicle". I could not help call him sonny for being half my age. Or the $80 abandoned vehicle ticket at the Portland Airport for an idling van that was being actively loaded! When confronted was told "wait until I get off duty. I know where you live, I want a piece of you." Fortunately he lost his employment for messing with someone higher up the food chain than myself. Then there was the gun running incident with the port of Canada in Victoria, last June. And for the record, I left my guns at home.

This last weekend was the final straw...I was not pulled over but the guy infront of me was -- on the edge of a town that had maybe 20 yards of 35 mph in an otherwise 55 mph hwy.

This is what I am looking at:

K40 RL with EX2 laser diffuser. This is a built in system, since our vans are large. It would have two laser diffusers that my be effective up front. Front and rear radar detectors (given the 23' of our van) and a laser diffuser in the back...likely ineffective given the displacement of the van.

http://www.k40.com/k40-rl-series--the-b ... ges-20.php

Has anyone else placed a system like this? Are the small under the rearview mirror portable units effective given the large mass of our van and obstructed side and rear veiws?

I just want some warning. Large van = easy target.

Anyone in the Portland/Eugene area...may consider a "BioDiesel" sticker to appease the econazis of the ELF and other organizations of the People's Republic of Portland.
Ketcham is offline   Reply With Quote