Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2011, 11:04 PM   #31

Re: Vans such large targets for the police

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC
WRT the motorcycle video, we are not seeing the full context. Why is the bike rolling backwards from the car. If the cop felt the bike was a threat to him, he's got a good reason to draw his gun, and note it wasn't pointed at the rider.
I thought I saw a real cop car behind him at :21 in the video. Also, I'd be footing it backwards if a guy was getting out of his car... if I saw the gun coming out first I don't know what I'd do.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:20 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Quote:
WRT the motorcycle video, we are not seeing the full context. Why is the bike rolling backwards from the car. If the cop felt the bike was a threat to him, he's got a good reason to draw his gun, and note it wasn't pointed at the rider.
I thought I saw a real cop car behind him at :21 in the video. Also, I'd be footing it backwards if a guy was getting out of his car... if I saw the gun coming out first I don't know what I'd do.
There are several possible explanations (some innocent; some not - like maybe he was revving/nudging up at the door of the car and then backed off), again, would be good to see the full video.

I'm still waiting to get pulled over now I have a concealed pistol license - I got asked at the Canadian border "where is your gun?", so I assume somehow it is associated with my registration now.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:42 PM   #33

Quote:
I got asked at the Canadian border "where is your gun?", so I assume somehow it is associated with my registration now.
When I crossed into Victoria Canada from the ferry, they searched the van...including the porta potty! Took about 45 minutes to an hour I think. I asked why they stopped me. They said because I was a young single male traveling into Canada and staying more than a week.

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:20 PM   #34

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Quote:
There are several possible explanations (some innocent; some not - like maybe he was revving/nudging up at the door of the car and then backed off), again, would be good to see the full video.

I'm still waiting to get pulled over now I have a concealed pistol license - I got asked at the Canadian border "where is your gun?", so I assume somehow it is associated with my registration now.
It might have poped up that you have a CCW They have asked me at the Border before as well. But even if you have a CCW permit (Alaska you don't even need one to carry concealed) You can not carry a handgun in Canada, can't even bring it across the Border. Best bet is Shotgun.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:51 PM   #35

Yep just got my first speeding ticket or ticket of any kind ever in over 20 years in my SMB. Not even a warning or anything full on ticket with penalty even though I have clean record. I hit a speed trap that happens in only 1/2 mile of the area. I was going under the normal speed for the entire rest of the 50 miles of the road and didn't see the tiny little reduce speed for this 1/2 mile area sign and a cop was hiding waiting for people like me who didn't know the area. It did anger me some since he could have given me a warning and I told him I have never driven this road before.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:52 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones_GSXR
It might have poped up that you have a CCW They have asked me at the Border before as well. But even if you have a CCW permit (Alaska you don't even need one to carry concealed) You can not carry a handgun in Canada, can't even bring it across the Border. Best bet is Shotgun.
They (before looking at my ID) said as I rolled up to the booth "which of you to has the concealed weapon permit?" and then "where is your gun?"

Old 01-01-2012, 09:59 PM   #37

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones_GSXR
They (before looking at my ID) said as I rolled up to the booth "which of you to has the concealed weapon permit?" and then "where is your gun?"

I just went into Canada last week and they never asked me about my concealed weapons permit at all.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:32 PM   #38

Interesting my wife got pulled over this evening for a turn signal violation- not out, not didn't use, -- didn't flash enough times for the officer's satisfaction. Stated reason, no kidding.

After giving her the rundown, asking after her gun permit (illegal for police in Colorado to even have that database anymore, much less actively use it) starting asking her if there was a weapon in the vehicle. Of course there was no need for him to know that, PLUS it's totally legal to have a loaded firearm in the vehicle in Colorado without a permit anyway. Bless her heart, she thought it but didn't point that out to the officer...

Anyway after finding nothing to occupy him he let her go and immediately pulled over another vehicle.

We're both sure it was a case of mac-is-bored policing, but what really has me steamed is the illegal use of the permit database to try and ladder his way into if she was carrying.

Ironically we were just discussing this thread earlier today.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:21 PM   #39

Reminds me of an article I read some years ago by Jeff Cooper. He thought that law enforcement professionals were developing an "us" versus "them" mentality (cops v everyone else) which would prove counterproductive and could lead to more problems and less cooperation.
bratworst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:56 PM   #40

There is one sheriff's deputy I work pretty closely with on a first name basis, I might ask him about the CPL database here (he has a laptop in his rig), to see if it is attached to my license plate somehow.

He wouldn't know anything on mudflaps, that's a state trooper thing. I will probably rig something up though. Don't want to give them an excuse.

btw re Cooper, I don't know if you've seen his video where he talks about how a private citizen/gun enthusiast with some training will be more competent with firearms than your average cop, because your average cop doesn't WANT to become proficient with firearms, it is something they have to do as part of the job.