Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #21

Re: Water Can 2.5 gal

Holy thread from the past batman.

Does anyone else have any experience with the 2.5 gal Sceptor jugs on top of an aluminess galley box? My measured width between the rails is 13.5" but the specs for the jugs indicates 14". Maybe they can still squeeze in there.

The Coleman jugs are functional and all but just soooo blue . The advantage is that they have a spout and you can pour directly from the jug while it's on top of the box. I think in the name of vanity I could trade the higher kewlness factor of the military jug for the functionality of the Coleman.

JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #22
Site Team

Garage

Thought they are the same size as their 20L fuel tanks. My fuel cans fit aluminess standard tray with room to spare. I have four of the 2.5's and can check. I still have the tray laying around somewhere.
This is the 20L but the others are 1/2 the size. Different make?
Attached Images

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:16 PM   #23

There's two different makes. From what I can glean from searching older threads Spectre is Canadian and there is a US manufacturer that can be purchased at the LCI vendor.

The issue is the rails aluminess puts on top of the galley box. Given the rail thickness x 2 and you lose a 1/2" from the original 14" top width of the box. From what I gather from aluminess is that they only sized them to fit the Coleman blue jugs.

I've never had much luck with $14 dollar jugs that didn't leak at some point and/or need to have the spigots replaced. The lids, vent caps, pour spouts, etc. are easily broken. The Scepter military cans are bomb proof in every respect.

edit to add: What threw me off is the dimensions of the box are misleading because of the recessed door (24W x 16D x 20"). I was sure a 14" jug would fit but width on top doesn't include the door. But again, maybe the Scepter jugs might squeeze in there anyway.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:30 PM   #24

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta

Rock Slide makes these cool spare tire racks that one can mount these screw-on holding tanks:

http://www.rockslideengineering.com/ind ... &Itemid=56

http://www.offroadunlimited.com/orustor ... egory=2191

I'm gonna have one on my rig at the Overland Expo with some Maxtrax, water and diesel packs fitted.

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:50 PM   #25

As JoeH stated, I am also interested to see if anyone knows whether these scepter 2.5 gal cans will fit between the rails of the Aluminess products. Unlike JoeH I have the jerrycan box and want to know if I can fit three between the rails on top.
canyonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:25 AM   #26

Update:

I sent Sceptor an email inquiring about dimensions. They replied that the actual dimension of the Scepter 20L/5gal and 10L/2.5gal MWCs is 13.7" and 13.6”, respectively.

They also updated their website. http://www.sceptermilitary.com/water_containers/

There's a river running supply store in town that carries them so I'll check for fit today. They want $37 which is almost double from the previously mentioned vendors in this thread but if anyone is stuck on blue they have it. http://www.wetdreamsriversupply.com/cat ... ucts_id=89

All of the river running companies that run the Colorado River through Grand Canyon have switched to MWCs.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:56 PM   #27
Site Team

Garage

I take it you guys are talking about this cargo box:

The standard tray or basket as they call it is not an issue and will hold four with room to spare.
Attached Thumbnails
bumper03.jpg  

Old 03-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #28

I think they are talking abou the Jerry can box. The one with the open back and top with rails on it.

http://www.aluminess.com/img/fuel-box-2_lg.jpg

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:26 PM   #29
Site Team

Garage

I've never even seen that box. I think what SMB once called a galley box held one large can on the side and had the rail top similar to the one I showed a picture of...just can't remember. Aluminess has changed so much but they still have not been able to fit the Scepter stuff well. I had to special order mine and still it didn't come out quite how I ordered it. Their big storage box should be able to fit 4-20L Scepters but it won't, at least not in a friendly useable manor.

Maybe have a shop re-do the rails.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:55 PM   #30

As it turns out the 2.5 gal Sceptor MWCs fit just fine between the rails on top of the galley box. I can fit three with a little room to spare. I just installed my rear bumper with the galley box and it has the bike rack option. There's not much space between the top of the rails and the top of the tubing/frame.

The Sceptor jugs are nice because they are easier to slip into the space. They are easier to manage since they are not as heavy. In order to fit the 5 gal Coleman jugs I think I would have to remove the bike rack to get the 2nd jug in. The only downside is that you can't pour from a spigot while the jug is still on the box.
Attached Thumbnails
scepter jug1.jpg   scepter jug2.jpg